Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
Carelino
Visitor

Today sony picked up my laptop to check out the clicking sound. I will keep everybody updated on this topic. It will take 5 to 10 days before I get my laptop back, ofcourse they will call me to talk about the problem.

Right now there are 2 investigations:
1. Fuijitsu got an e-mail with the clicking sound and will investigate it.
2. Sony is gonna check the problem.

As soon I get to know something about the problem it wil be posted here. Thank you all for showing intrest in this problem.

BirminghamBat
Visitor

I have had my sony Vaio FE11S for two weeks and in Internet Explorer the home page automatically goes to a sony vaio website and clicks uncontrollably - you can't change the home page in internet options or do much else except attempt many times to close the page - I thought I was doing something wrong - tried uninstalling internet explorer - have all anti-virus working so no bugs - help

Carelino
Visitor

I have had my sony Vaio FE11S for two weeks and in Internet Explorer the home page automatically goes to a sony vaio website and clicks uncontrollably - you can't change the home page in internet options or do much else except attempt many times to close the page - I thought I was doing something wrong - tried uninstalling internet explorer - have all anti-virus working so no bugs - help

You have a diffrent problem. Post a new thread with this problem. This thread is trying to fix a harddisk clicking sound. Thank you....

bernalmanuel
Visitor

Hello guys... I also have this horrible clicking sound on my FE11S, I hope somebody will find an answer to it. My hard disk is a Fujitsu MHV2160BT. Thanks for opening this post!

Manuel

BirminghamBat
Visitor

Thought my problem was about a clicking sound! Anyway I have solved the matter by resetting the whole system - it was a bit of a pain but luckily because the laptop is only two weeks old it wasn't too bad. Everything is working well now.

Carelino
Visitor

I hope reall soon to get to know more. Sony didn't call me yet...as soon I know more I will put another message on this thread.

Wolf7
Visitor

Your vaio clicks frequently?
Mine clicks rarely, like one time every 10 sessions...

will1881
Visitor

Hey Carelino,

Yeah thanks for opening this thread. I've got the same annoying problem with the clicking sound.
Please do let us know what's going on with this.
I think this is crazy. Don't Sony test their products??

profile.country.de_DE.title
atempause1ecyms
Visitor

have the same problem clicking sound and thought it was normal.hope to get to know more about this problem
:slight_frown:

Carelino
Visitor

It is certainly not normal. They fix it, put another harddisk in it or they give me my money back. Did not pay for clicking laptop.

This is also bad news for fuijitsu since they cause the clicking sound. If Sony has to fix this problem they will go to fuijtsu for the costs. I actually don't thrust that harddisk anymore, harddisk is the most important thing of a computer. But we'll see what sony tells and fuijtsu tells.

Would be very funny if Sony says nothing is wrong and fuijtsu says there is something wrong or the other way around. Really looking forward to the aswer. I think this coming week I will receive a phonecall from sony.