Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
inglele
Visitor

Hi there,
same problem with my FE11S in Italy.

Let me know.... thanks! :wink:

eureka63
Visitor

i cannot download the click sound file. :slight_frown:

Carelino
Visitor

i just downloaded myself again. Did you wait 45 seconds and then removed the banner in front of the Download button????? It's still working fine. Try again:

Carelino
Visitor

Right now I can follow the procedures online of sony. Right now they are at this point:

Dear visitor, your VAIO is being diagnosed and necessary actions will be taken within the shortest period

Following parts were replaced :
MS10 ASSY HDD 160GB(FJ)

Looks like Sony is just going to put in a new harddisk. I don't know if I like that. Since this problem is commen, and I actually don't trust the same harddisk again. I don't only want the problem to be fixed but also the reason why my harddisk made a clicking sound and ofcourse a lot of other harddisks of other Vaio users did the very same thing. Putting back a new but same harddisk with a big chance the same thing will happen all over again will not satisfy me at all. Sony still did not call me, but I hope they will really soon. I will keep everybody updated about this. Untill now I am satisfied about sony procedures, yet I am waiting for the explanation.

will1881
Visitor

Thanks for that Carelino.

I'm also sending mine in soon FE11S.
The Analyst on the phone (UK) said he hasn't heard of the problem, and he also stated that if they don't find the clicking noise, they'll charge me £107.

Seriously, what is up with that? I told him to look at the message board. There are about 50 people AT LEAST reporting the problem on your own website and he still repeated the statement above.

Used to like Sony, but its fading away now...

on a separate note, for some reason my keyboard letters are fading off! I've only had this machine for 1 month now and treated it with care. What's going on!

profile.country.fr_FR.title
gilchami
Visitor

Hello,

I have put XP Pro instead of XP media for two days on my FE11S. No harddisk click sound... at the beginning, but it returned at the end of one day !

I noticed that the noise was made when the portable was open since a long moment. Then, it does not stop any more.

Note: I did not put driver SATA provided by SONY but that does not change anything... :cry:

TheLaird
Visitor

Thanks to Carelino for recording his/her clicking sound. I have exactly the same problem, having bought my FE-11S a few weeks ago. It has been doing it since the very first time I booted it up. It is related to the hard drive, for sure, although it is not a "normal" sound. The clicking started up again this morning. I then started to defrag the C: drive and the clicking stopped. It seems to be the case that if the hard drive is doing a lot of work, then the clicking does not happen. The defrag has now completed and the clicking has started again - it only happens when the drive is relatively idle.
Carelino, please keep us posted on your problem - I agree that for Sony to replace the hard drive with the same model is unsatisfactory - I think there is a generic problem with this particular hard drive...

TheLaird
Visitor

I've just called Sony support and the situation is as follows:
I could send my FE11S up for investigation, but if in the view of the Sony technicians the noise is "within normal spec", it would be returned and I would be charged £107. If, on the other hand, they consider it is a fault, they would probably replace the hard drive (but would not restore my data to the new hard drive).
So the question now is, do I want to risk being charged £107 for what amounts to an aggravation? :thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

This must be quite a problem, as 793 people have read this so far

lester_itiz
Visitor

Hi everyone,

Also I have those annoying clicks coming out of it.
Have the FE11S purchased about 2 months ago.
It started a week ago. After rebooth the clikking is gone for a while, but it always comes back.
Have no solution yet, damn this is terrible.
My first Sony.
:slight_frown: