Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
Stubbleman
Visitor

Hi all,

I was just wondering if this issue has been resolved yet?
I bought a VGN FE11S in March 2006 and it was fine for the first week. Then the clicking started, (approximately every 10 to 15 seconds) and the only way to clear it was to shutdown and restart!!
This continued for about 3 weeks and then I went away for a long weekend without the laptop. When I returned and switched on the laptop, the noise had mysteriously disappeared!
So far the sound has not returned but, after reading these messages I would like to know how to deal with it if it does!

Stubbleman

Carelino
Visitor

Stubbleman the issue has not been resolved yet. Me (sending Vaio back to Sony) and the other guy who send the clicking sound to Fuijitsu did not get a response yet. Don't worry I will keep everybody updated about this problem as soon I get to know more.

I personally think Sony has to put in another harddisk. Not a fuijitsu again since it's a commen problem. Last week on wednesday I send my laptop so it has been 6 workday's (I counted today to) I send my laptop. Did not get a response, only thing I can see on the internet that Sony replaced my harddisk.

profile.country.en_GB.title
mark.magill
Visitor

Hi Guys

Still waiting on a response from Fuijitsu I will post a response as soon as I hear anything..

Mark

Carelino
Visitor

Well, tomorrow I am going to get my laptop back. Seems like Sony just replaced the harddisk. I am going to call them today and ask them what was wrong with the harddisk. I bet they will not be able to tell me what...

I'm afraid to get the same clicking sound all over again. As soon I know more I'll ad the information on this thread.

Carelino
Visitor

Well, I just called sony and they told me they changed a connector of the harddisk. They said the problem was not the harddisk but the connector between the harddisk and the motherboard Part= MS10. They tested the laptop for two days and came to this conclusion. Ofcourse they could not give me any techincal information, but according to them the problem should be fixed now. I hope it fixed the problem. If I hear the clicking sound again, I am going to demend another harddisk in my laptop. Untill now I am satisfied, yet disapionted they could not give me any technical information. Tommorow I will have my laptop back! jippie!

I hope they actually did something.....if I get to know more I will post on this thread again.

kee-lo_

I hope it comes back working how it should too, bit of a pain that it's such a silly component causing the problem

Wolf7
Visitor

Then, we all have to send back the laptop to vaio assistance?

Thanks for all, carelino :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Yeah, shame they didn't get a decent set of cables to start off with :laughing:

Carelino
Visitor

Your welcome Wolf, yet I am still waiting for the response I will get from Fuijitsu. Adn hopefully I will never hear that annoying clicking sound anymore.

knock_knock2006
Visitor

Your welcome Wolf, yet I am still waiting for the response I will get from Fuijitsu. Adn hopefully I will never hear that annoying clicking sound anymore.

I hope your problem get resolved with this cable exchange as I am also suffering with the same problem and I know how annoying it is.

Technically speaking, the reason given by Sony doesn't make any sense but who knows...??? It may fix the problem.... and that's what we want at the end of the day.

If your problem if fixed then I am definately gonna send mine to Sony and will see how dare they ask for £107....!!!! (It's extremely difficult to be without my laptop but I would provided that the problem is solved.

Thanx man.

Cheers. N yeah, can't wait to have an update from u for this sick ever problem...