Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
Carelino
Visitor

Just received my laptop. Untill now I don't hear any clicking sounds, but if I will the coming days I will post is A.S.C.P.

matrb
Visitor

Hallo everyone!
I experience the same problem with the annoying sound! I have read all the posts and i would like to know if sony solved the problem. Carelino let us know if your vaio is ok. If it is maybe i have to send my vaio to sony.
Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Just received my laptop. Untill now I don't hear any clicking sounds.

:cool: Thats good news Carelino. :slight_smile:

Carelino
Visitor

Still did not hear any clicking sounds anymore.....but this after 2 days...Untill now it looks like Sony fixed the clicking sound.

will1881
Visitor

Carelino,

Thanks for the updates. Looking good so far, but I guess you can't really tell for at least a week of testing.

Mine has seemed to have gone quiet now for a couple of days. It'll probably reappear soon...i can feel it! :slight_smile:

surfcrazedscot
Visitor

I'll be contacting Sony today and telling them to get their a**es over to these post then see if they can still tell me that I don't have a problem. They should do the right thing and contact ALL FE users with a solution and if it involves recalling EVERY machine for repair then so be it. I'll also be contacting a few of the Sony head honchos to make them aware of the number of unhappy VAIO users they have on their hands.

will1881
Visitor

There we go, clicking is back!
knew it hadn't gone, i was patiently preparing myself for its arrival :smileygrin:

i'm gonna send mine in soon.
and yes, please do contact sony those bums.
trying to pretend that this problem doesn't exist and want to charge us an extra £107!!

Carelino
Visitor

4 days passed by and I don't hear any clicking sounds anymore. Looks like Sony fixed the problem

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: Excellent news Carelino,

:clap: Congrats to Sony

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's good news Carelino