Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
will1881
Visitor

No, definitely not. No charge was made whatsoever.
Wouldn't have let them either way.

Spinstorm
Visitor

Can we find out for sure if this is a serious problem likely to cause damage to the laptop or just an annoying noise now and then?

The reason I ask is that either way I would return the laptop to Sony BUT for the next couple of months I need it - now obviously if it is gonna blow up next week I will send it right back but if it is just an annoying noise I can wait a little bit.

Does anyone know one way or the other? or can anyone find out?

Carelino
Visitor

No there is no other solution. If you want to take the risk damaging your harddisk, because you can't live without laptop for 7 days go ahead. I think 1700 euro's is a good reason to let your laptop to be fixed as soon as possible. Since you are not allowed to open your laptop there is no other solution.....

No clicking sounds anymore with me it's been couple weeks now.

Troubles-Maker
Visitor

I thought I am the only unlucky guy to have that irritating sound, yet I now can find some others who I can share my sad experience with about this sound. But the only two differences are that I have had the clicking sound since I first bought my laptop and my laptop model is FS415B.

I sent my laptop to Sony yesterday to check the sound out along with other problems with the LCD monitor and the very slow speed of laptop response to any command

I hope that they will figure out that the product they provided me with is a faulty product, and replace it with a new one, or give me my money back: however I am not building too many hopes on that fact …….lol

Thanks for this post, which has just given me some confidence that my problems mighty be solved soon.

Best Regards
:wink:

Spinstorm
Visitor

But my point is WILL IT DAMAGE the hard drive?

Does anyone know? I mean 100% - I just want to know if it is serious serious or if it is just an annoying noise!

Not that it would matter that much as under UK Law if it is dodgy we can all sue Sony if they dont fix it!

will1881
Visitor

Yes it will!
Now go fix!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

But my point is WILL IT DAMAGE the hard drive?

I'd say there's a high percentage of damage over the course of a few months, why? Because the head is being moved a lot more than usual and parked. Plus if it's a a cable fault it might well cause the heads to do things it's not meant to do, and could eventually scratch the disk surface - something nobody wants!

Spinstorm
Visitor

but it seems to me that damage only occurs when this noise starts happening and while it happens?

well everytime it has done it (all two times) I have restarted it within a minute of noticing it and it has stopped.

So as long as I restart the PC then it shouldn't cause any damage? is that logical to assume?

dont get me wrong I want to get it fixed just right now is not convenient but evern I am not so stupid as to let it break then get it fixed!

Carelino
Visitor

Listen spinstorm, we are not experts on the problem. Even Sony did not know anything about the problem, untill I called them and they fixed it. Do you really think we can tell if it would damage your harddisk......it's YOUR decision wether you want to take the risk or not. The risk you take is getting a damaged harddisk fixed, and losing all the data you needed so badly for 7 days....

A clicking sound at the one the most important part of your laptop can NEVER be good for you harddisk. You know that and I know that. Now be smart and send your laptop in. Right now you are working around the problem but everytime you get in the end at the same problem.

Sony will not fix anything if all is OK. You can't tell me it's normal...its broken...FIX IT!

In stead of spending time asking us if it would damage your harddisk call Sony and ask them. I think you know perfectly well what SONY is going to aswer you....With laptop problems you never can tell for 100% something.....especially if the problem was unkown.

Spinstorm
Visitor

I know your not an expert but I was hoping someone would know better thats all.

It is not actually the data that I care about losing - what I don't want to lose is the portabliity of the laptop as I come and go alot from Brighton to London and before I got this laptop I used to carry my desktop back and forth (which was not very convenient!) In about a months time I will no longer have to keep travelling like that and then I am happy to send it i.

So for the time being I am going to just hold on - if the noise happens all the time then I will immediately return it but right now its simply not convenient!

Thank you for sorting out the problem though with Sony and as soon as I can I will be returning it to Sony to fix!