Join now - be part of our community!

DVD unit in my Notebook - Help Please!!

vinodbajaj
Visitor

DVD unit in my Notebook - Help Please!!

I own 17 inches Sony VAIO VGNA 297XP notebook. I cannot open DVD unit either by clicking short cut to CD icon or pressing open/close button near DVD unit. But when I put a small pin in the hole in DVD unit it opens immediately. Also when I click short cut to CD icon an orange lights flashes in the base as if it is trying to open. The light disappears after few seconds.

How can I fix this. Help please

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi vinodbajaj,

Download the Original Utilities Package for your A297XP from Vaio-Link, once downloaded extract and then install the following, in order.

1 SonyUtils.DLL
2 Sony Shared Library
3 Vaio Event Service
4 Setting Utility Series

Once completed then re-boot your vaio.

You may have to do this more than once..:smileywink:

Have you changed or removed any burning software.?

vinodbajaj
Visitor

Hiya,

Thanks for your help.

I downloaded the Ulities you told me to download and in the zip file there was one EXE. In that, it installed a few things, and automatically rebooted the computer.

Then, after reboot, it installed some more stuff.

After all was installed, I pressed Eject, and an "EJECT" word appeared on the screen, but the CD/DVD ROM did not eject. I went to the CD/DVD DRive Icon in My Computer and Selected Eject through the software, and it did not eject.

As i have done everything possible software related, do you think this could be a hardware problem?

It's definitely not a Windows Rootkit problem as I tried opening the CD/DVD Rom drive when the BIOS was open (to check if it was a rootkit problem) and it still did not open manually by pressing the button. From what i can see, i think it may be a hardware problem but need confirmation on that.

Any other help or suggestions?

Also, I don't have any burning software in the computer, nor has anything been installed or uninstalled in the last few months that could have a direct effect on the CD/DVD Rom drive.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi vinodbajaj

Did you notice any problems before the eject stopped working?

Try installing the Sony Notebook Controler Driver from HERE followed again by the Original Utilities Package that you downloaded earlier.

Try removing your DVD from device manager and reboot your Vaio and allow the DVD drive drivers to re-install

If that does not help and unless anyone else has any ideas, then I guess to rule out a hardware problem you could try restoring your vaio using the recovery disc's provided by Sony.. :slight_frown:

Make sure you backup important data first.. :wink: