Join now - be part of our community!

Game problems = overheating?

jstr
Visitor

Game problems = overheating?

Hi guys,
I have a problem that you might be able to help me out with. I have successfully been playing a game for 6 months on my Vaio VGN-FS495VP. Latley though I've had serious lag and fps issues. Like fps suddenly dropping like 30 points and all movement sorta hacks it way forth.

Anyway I've tried different drivers and reinstallation of windows and the game itself etc. Recently I stumbled upon the fact that it might be overheating causing these issues, the notebook DO feel hot like a frying pan after a while of playing. I've just downloaded MobileMeter and am running some tests as we speak.

On to the questions.
Is it likely overheating causíng these problems?
And if so is there any guide here on how to disensemble and clean the fans etc?

I've tried reading through these boards finding one, but I'm a bit lost and new to this place so i haven't found one yet.

If anyone could take their time and help me out I'd be very grateful :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance
Jstr.

14 REPLIES 14
ch33tor
Visitor

I had the same problem.

Follow this link, I hope it will open.
http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=36272

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jstr,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

As ch33tor has said follow the solutions in the other thread, however I would not recommend using a Vacuum cleaner as this could produce static..:smileywink:

jstr
Visitor

Thanks for the info guys :slight_smile:
Checking MobileMonitor as we speak and cpu temperature is at 81degrees at the moment (ingame). However I've havent had one of those big lagspikes yet so gonna check what the temp is then.

I'll be heading out to buy some compressed air tomorrow but if that fails is there any guide on how to take apart my vaio and clean it manually? (sorry for nagging)

Jstr.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jstr,

81 degrees is still hot...

jstr
Visitor

ye 86 now 😕

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jstr

There is definitely a problem, can you hear the cooling fan running, can you feel hot air coming from the air vents, check that dust, etc. has not blocked the vents.

If I were you I would not run your Vaio until you had reduced the temperature wait until you have used compressed air to clean the vents..

jstr
Visitor

Aye i can hear the fan (or atleast i assume it's the fan :P) but can hardly feel any air comming out. Guess that's the problem right there. When I'm not in the game and just idling in windows temperature drops to ~60.
What should idle temp be on these models?

Need to wait for the stores to open to get the compressed air 😕

ch33tor
Visitor

however I would not recommend using a Vacuum cleaner as this could produce static..:smileywink:

When I clean air vents with air duster nothing didn't happened.
So what would you recommend to do instead of using vacuum cleaner?:smileyconfused:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Disassembly is the next best thing