Join now - be part of our community!

Game problems = overheating?

jstr
Visitor

Game problems = overheating?

Hi guys,
I have a problem that you might be able to help me out with. I have successfully been playing a game for 6 months on my Vaio VGN-FS495VP. Latley though I've had serious lag and fps issues. Like fps suddenly dropping like 30 points and all movement sorta hacks it way forth.

Anyway I've tried different drivers and reinstallation of windows and the game itself etc. Recently I stumbled upon the fact that it might be overheating causing these issues, the notebook DO feel hot like a frying pan after a while of playing. I've just downloaded MobileMeter and am running some tests as we speak.

On to the questions.
Is it likely overheating causíng these problems?
And if so is there any guide here on how to disensemble and clean the fans etc?

I've tried reading through these boards finding one, but I'm a bit lost and new to this place so i haven't found one yet.

If anyone could take their time and help me out I'd be very grateful :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance
Jstr.

14 REPLIES 14
jstr
Visitor

Ok, I used compressed air to blow through the air intake and cleaned a bit arount the exhaust. Game has been running for two hours now and highest measured temp is 66degrees (as apposed to 86-90 yesterday).

Idle temp in windows is ~55degrees.

Are these more acceptable temperatures?

grahambird80
Visitor

Yep looks like a good blast has removed all that gunk clogging up your cooling system.

A 20 degree drop in temp is very good.

I would still keep an eye on the temp as the last thing you want to do is fry your system

jstr
Visitor

Had the computer on now for about 18 hours with alot of those gaming. And I can gladly say that 67degrees has been the highest measured temp so far.

I'd like to thank all you guys that took your time to answer my questions here. You made a gamer alot happier :slight_smile:

Cudos
Jstr.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Excellent, hope you have fun

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome jstr, glad your Viao's cooler and you can now enjoy your games...:smileyhappy: