Join now - be part of our community!

He-e-e-elp

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mike-S
Visitor

He-e-e-elp

Hello everyone, first timer here so please be gentle with me !

For some time now  my VGN-NS20E/S has been throwing a Wobbly. After being in use for a while, the first clue is that the pointer srarts to move very jerkily across the screen no matter how smoothly I move the mouse or my finger on the pad. Everything then becomes painfully slow. One of my main uses for the laptop is music streaming. When it goes wonky the music becomes just a garbled noise. The light on the front of the machine flashes like bees wings. If I do a system restore (which takes ages) to any previous time, everything works OK but not for long. This problem persists whether or not I'm using the internet.

Can anyone help please before I chuck the thing in front of a bus ?

Regards

Mike-S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mike,

This is a known problem caused by a recent Windows Update.

I'm sure Microsoft will patch this fairly quickly but if you get the same problem again, turn off Automatic Updates temporarily until the fix arrives.

With WmiPrvSE.exe problems and memory leaks, it is always advisable to run AntiVirus scans as this legitimate Windows program is targeted by malware - just in case!.

:wink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mike,

When it happens again, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and go to the Processes Tab.

Go down the list of processes and see which process is using a significant percentage of the CPU power.

Let us know and someone may be able to help.

:thinking:

Mike-S
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

thanks for your reply. I did as you asked and got the following results.

tskmgr.exe    01-02

ieplore.exe    01-02

google desktop   01

igffxsrvc   01

WmiPrvSE.exe   95

All this means absolutely nothing to me !

I hope it does to you.

Mike

Further to the above.

I did a system restore to yesterdays date then when it worked OK I checked the task manager processes tab and found that the WmiPrvSE reading showing 00.

does this help at all. At the moment (15.29) all is working OK.

Mike

Message was edited by: Mike-S

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mike,

This is a known problem caused by a recent Windows Update.

I'm sure Microsoft will patch this fairly quickly but if you get the same problem again, turn off Automatic Updates temporarily until the fix arrives.

With WmiPrvSE.exe problems and memory leaks, it is always advisable to run AntiVirus scans as this legitimate Windows program is targeted by malware - just in case!.

:wink:

Mike-S
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I did as you suggested as well as giving the machine a full anti-virus scan. I thought at first that everything was OK but when I've just booted up again I find that it's all gone to pot as before. I checked the task manager thingy  and the reading for WmiPrvSE.exe is 95 again.

Mike :cry: