Join now - be part of our community!

igdpmd64.sys blue screen

profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

igdpmd64.sys blue screen

Just recently (few weeks) I've been having blue screen crashes pertaining to igdpmd64.sys, and only when using Internet Explorer. In fact IE seems unusable, no problems with Firefox or other applications.

My VAIO is VPCCB4C5E, Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit 7.1.13.1008, BIOS R2110V2.

Solution?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi barrynb,

igdpmd64.sys is the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver – Have you updated this recently from a third party source? If not check whether a Windows Update has taken place (Windows Update history).

If the Intel graphics driver has been updated recently you could try rolling this back in Device Manager. If this option is not available then check Windows update history and then click ‘Troubleshoot problem with installing windows updates’.

If this fails to resolve the problem, and assuming that the driver has been updated, you could try uninstalling the current driver and then install the original Intel HD Graphics Family driver as released by Sony.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCCB4C5E/updates

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

OK, thanks. I'll have a look at that later on today.

In the meantime I was wondering if it was Shockwave/Flash (I seem to remember that updating sometime recently). Seems that the version installed is 11.6.602.171. I tried running a Shockwave/Flash test. The Shockwave test didn't show a visible image, Flash ran OK. I should have tried that in Firefox, to see if there is a difference, but I'll follow your advice first.

I'll let you know

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi barrynb,

There seems to have been a problem with Adobe Flash Player 11.6.602.168 and earlier versions but that was addressed by the 11.6.602.171 update on IE 10.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-08.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

Ah, but I'm on IE9 (version 9.0.8112.16421, update version 9.0.13).

Is IE10 what you recommend? Is it released, stable? Should I update to that, and see after that?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

barrynb wrote:

Is IE10 what you recommend? Is it released, stable? Should I update to that, and see after that?

I can’t answer that question as I never use IE although I have version 9 installed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

Hmm, blue screen problem with IE still exists, igdpmd64.sys "page error in non page area".
I coudn't see any Windows Update that has occured relevant to that. I activated the 'troubleshoot problem with installing updates', and that indicated that it had made a couple of changes, but didn't fix the problem. Every time it falls over on reboot Windows says that it is checking for a fix, and will advise when one is available (hasn't happened yet!)

I ran a full virus check; nothing found. I ran all the VAIO care recommended fixes (RAM defrag, disc defrag, registry compaction, etc.). I went ahead and uninstalled Shockwave Flash, checked that it was no longer present in both browsers (IE and Firefox), then reinstalled version 11.6.602.171 (and saw that it shows as present in both browsers). IE still fails with the same blue screen. Interestingly I've found that a quick check is to use the 'Wild Tangent' link for Sony's page; that site has pages that are sure to crash IE for me.

I haven't yet taken your advice to remove and reinstall the Intel HD Family Graphics Driver (yet), as it seems to work OK with all other applications. Ongoing.....

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks for the update - Not sure what else to suggest but please let us know whether you solve the Issue as we usually get more than one instance of this type of problem and your input could assist other members.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

Sitrep.

I reinstalled the Intel HD Family Graphics driver (taken from VPCCB4C5E support page). Nothing different after that.

I then installed RealPlayer, and put that as default player for IE. No difference with that, no better, no worse.

Today there have been a host of Windows updates. IE today still falls-over on certain pages, but reloads that page. No blue screen today (so far!); unusual, perhaps something has changed.
That blue screen error message pertaining to igdpmd64.sys and paging errors that I was getting, I wondered if there are any memory allocation settings that could affect for this screen resolution (1920 x 1080), but it would have to be specific to Internet Explorer, because there is no problem with any other application. Any thoughts??

rgds, Barry

profile.country.de_AT.title
mystakidis
Visitor

Heya Barry,

I think I've solved it.

Open the Catalyst Control Centre

(right click on the little icon that says Color: 32 etc and Click Graphics Properties)

Go into Start/Power/Switchable graphics method

Select 'select the graphics processor manually or based on power source'.

Click apply.

Under PowerPlay, click the box to disable PowerPlay.

Try wildtangent.com again. I didn't get a Blue Screen of Death in IE9!

I may have changed a few other settings in the graphics options if this doesn't work.

For example, I tried to get everything to run on high-performance (ie, through the Radeon card, rather than the Intel graphics adaptor).

My thinking was the blue screen came about due to the laptop trying to switch graphics mode between programs. You tube was jerky and the laptop felt sluggish at times..

Let me know how you go!

Paul