Join now - be part of our community!

intresting vgn-a317m thingy

djidji.govedina
Visitor

intresting vgn-a317m thingy

I ran few utilities for analyzing motherboard, chipset... etc, among them made a test with official one made for indentifying motherboards from american megatrends, and in each and everyone I got this strange and interesting peace of info:

memory:
installed: 512 MB
maximum: 2 gb

although in a317m specs. declared maximum is 1gb.
now I am curious if this is some kind of diagnostic bug, or my sistem can support 2gb of memory despite sony's declaration.

any experiences on this matter?

respect

djordje

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

They have to pay licencing fees?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Yes. I think not that Sony produce his own RAM. Then all VAIOs should come with Sony RAM. But they come with Samsung, Kingston and others. So, Sony must buy RAM + the license to burn his own logo on the RAM, and then the tests.(because the must work) I think that's why a 512MB modul cost approx 250¿ instead 60¿. A bit stupid IMO. But that is sebs opinion.

kee-lo_

So, best not to get it then... LOL
I have always felt that Sony's RAM was always well overpriced, so I don't see why we should pay for them to mark the RAM with their name.... sad

seb21__
Visitor

yeah

Eugenepang
Visitor

hmm the 2x256mb sdram (original with my vaio) didnt had any print on it.. just a sticker stating its origin produce country (singapore).. no sony/vaio logo.

seb21__
Visitor

Mmmh, sometimes you get the original chips, but the platine is third-party.

kee-lo_

Well I looked at buying Sony RAM off eBuyer - £40 for 256MB, and next to it they say "Kingston Branded" LOL

seb21__
Visitor

lol, strange VAIO-World