Join now - be part of our community!

Is splashtop quick web browser safe using the web key?

profile.country.en_GB.title
onytimesuk
Visitor

Is splashtop quick web browser safe using the web key?

Hi,

I've just bought a new E series with the web quick browser button. What  would like to know is it safe against key stroke hackers and are your passwords safe and internet security protected. It just dosen't feel safe when you don't have your computer switched on and no security package to prtoect against spyware etc etc..

Also how do you change the broswer to splashtop google chrome for extra security ?

Ant help with these questions would be very much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi onytimesuk and welcome.

The security comes from Splashtop being a linux based OS with a Chrome browser.  Criminals at present direct most of their attention towards Windows environments.

When you open the Splashtop browser, the system cannot communiate with the Windows partition, so no malware can be downloaded.  Most programs are 'Splashtop Apps' or are 'Cloud' based and not held on the PC.

I suppose it is possible that, as Splashtop becomes more popular, it may become more of a target - but I'm sure Splashtop's internal security will become stronger.

It is designed to give fast browsing and email checking - I'm not sure I would use it for internet banking!!  These days, my Windows boots in 15 to 20 seconds - so I don't use it much.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
nimbystripes
Visitor

I agree. Sometimes, the best way to get rid or prevent your system from being invaded by viruses and malwares is to have a seperate non-Window OS. I usually do this with my work, though other things still come from my Windows-running system.