Laptop Overheating

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
raheem786
Visitor

Laptop Overheating

Hi,

I have a Sony VPCEC2S0E.

For the last 2 days the laptop fan has been running loudly and constantly, even when the laptop is just on the desktop. I don't really know what to do, I have placed it on a stand. I have around 7GB of memory left, i know its not a lot but i shall delete it, ive had 7gb or less (3 at one point) before and never had problems. So whats wrong?

Ive read about spraying air, but I think the air cannister for the screen i bought may be too powerful and maybe damage the fan, and I dont know how to open up the laptop. And also Ive read about CCleaner. Will it delete my files?

Also, the heat is spreading around the laptop, although the right half (disk slot) is totally cool. And it has NOT switched itself of...yet :S

I have also taken out the battery and just plugged in the charger and ran it, but its still the same.

I use the laptop for a long time everyday, more than 5 hours, but thats how its been for the last 2 years.

Raheem

Message was edited by: raheem786

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
peshyxp
Visitor

Its a relatively simple job to remove the 20 odd screws on the reverse of your laptop in order to access the fan unit

Have a look on Youtube since there are lots of videos posted on how to remove back cover and clean the cooling fan unit

I did it on my FW21L model and managed to extracts lots of dirt and grime which then made the laptop run much cooler without the fan kicking in.

If you get stuck just post here again and should be able to give further assistance

Keep us posted on how you get on

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Adammac452
Visitor

Hi Raheem,

If the Fan has been running loudly and the computer is overheating it is probably a problem with the fan which will only be able to be fixed by a professinal. or you could have a virus which is running many background programs. Has your battery life got worse recently? If it has it is probably the second one.

raheem786
Visitor

What could I possible do?

For the latter one, running a full mcafee scan?

For the first...what can I do now to help before I go to any professionals? (spray the fan with air)

Also, I doubt the second as my CPU is only around 7% and the fan is on high.

Just one more thing, when the laptop is on desktop, it does cool down, the fan stops running so high and also whe n i stop opening up a new tab or document.

Raheem

Adammac452
Visitor

Your fan has jammed at full speeed there is nothing you can do really. maybe try the old method of putting the laptop on and putting it on a bag of ice, but that can fry the electrics. The best thing is to go to the pros and let them do the job. Unless you want to install the fan urself+ what computer do you have and what CPU and GPU do you have?

raheem786
Visitor

Ermm Sony Vaio VPCEC2S0E Is the laptop, does this not tell you the GPU and CPU?

Raheem

What shops would do it? PC World Teach Guys?

EDIT: What if i bought a USB Lpatop Cooling device, wouldnt that be useful, as it would replace my fan?

raheem786
Visitor

Sorry for asking so many question :slight_smile: But i am worried.

When you say "jammed" it doesnt constantly stay at full speed it does die down when im on desktop now, but when i open googel chrome, it starts up again

Fix-Computers
Visitor

I would say your fan and outlet fins are clogged with dust, if you are in a smoking eviroment the dust will be sticky which is worse. If this is so the heat from inside your laptop can not escape and it trapped inside, which in turn makes the fan work harder to get rid of heat.

clogged-dust-laptop-fan.jpg

http://instagr.am/p/KHr6EIvTp-/

Blowing canned air into the outlet fin may help a little a bit, but your laptop needs taking apart and cleaning, and while its apart you might aswell get the thermal paste on the chip replaced, ask for artic silver.

The price to fix this should be around £40-£50 and a same day job, if you go PC World it may be a lot more, find someone local with good reviews on google, just type "laptop repairs (your area)".

Until you get it fixed do not use your laptop for long periods of time as the heat may damage the inside your of your laptop, and do not try and rapidly cool down your laptop as this can harm it also.

raheem786
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

If i was to blow canned air, wouldnt it push the dust further into the laptop?

And also, buying something like an external fan e.g: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5581689/Trail/searchtext%3ELAPTOP+COOLING.htm

Raheem

Fix-Computers
Visitor

If i was to blow canned air, wouldnt it push the dust further into the laptop? It might so maybe dont do that, and the external fan, just get it cleaned properly. The external fan can not cool the inside.

KatherineYH
Visitor

The first and most important thing you need to do when your laptop is overheating, is to clean the fan/s that provide/s cooling to the CPU and graphics card. Over time they build up layers of dust and dirt that slow them down and block flow of air. Consult your laptop’s manual or manufacturer to find out how you can open the laptop to access and clean these parts.

Life is too serious to be taken seriously http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png