Join now - be part of our community!

Latest Sony Vaio Laptop SZ61WN/C mobile broadband issues

Kerryjo
Visitor

Latest Sony Vaio Laptop SZ61WN/C mobile broadband issues

Latest Sony Vaio Laptop SZ61WN/C mobile broadband - pre configured to T-Mobile issues

Having bought the latest Vaio £1,700 smackers - I want to use the built in modem (for remote access to email/Web) and the machine has a slot for a SIM card in the back, but the modem comes pre-configured to T Mobile who want £30 a month, whereas Three mobile only charge a tenner. But because the modem is pre-configured to T-Mobile this isn't easy. Sony have a cheek and more I think it possibly illegal to restrict the customers choice by such behaviour. The modem should be pre-configured with generic software that does not restrict the choice of the buyer/user. There - got that off my chest! Having said that I now have to go to considerable trouble to try to get some generic drives so I can use the internal modem.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kerryjo and welcome,

The WWAN module is not locked to a certain provider, but the preinstalled connection manager is. If you want to use another operator, you can uninstall the T-Mobile software, and you can get in touch with your own operator and request a Vista- and module-compatible connection manager.

I remember someone reporting that installing the Option WWAN facility from XP works.

:wink: