Join now - be part of our community!

Logon messages

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Logon messages

Hello, spot of bother which I hope someone can help with please.

Recently had to go to France on a 'mission of mercy' type errand and took my laptop with me to do a spot of work as and when.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to logon to my sister-in-laws wireless broadband and someone (who shall remain nameless) 'fiddled with my computer!!!

Since then, instead of going from the normal Windows XP start up page direct to the desktop as per normal for my machine, an intermediate step has been inserted which is a small windows box giving a user name and asking for a password - if no password is given and 'OK' pressed then the normal desktop appears as per normal.

How do I get rid of this unwanted intermediate step please??

For info, a password is requested and given at the commencement of activities (switch-on), as normal.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gyron

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gyron,

Have you checked the log-in settings in User Accounts..

Click on Start, then click on Control Panel

In Control Panel double click on User Accounts

In User Accounts click on Change the way users log on or off..

gyron1
Explorer

Hi Thalamus, good to hear from you once again when I am in trouble!

OK, did what you said and the following message came up -

'Client services for NetWare has disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features you must uninstall Client Services for Netware'

What's all that about? When I next meet the guy who 'fiddled' with my laptop I shall most probably shoot him!!

Whatever I do I don't want to lose my internet capability which, so far is working ok.

What I do know is that he was trying to get my laptop to work 'wirelessly' by recognising their 'Livebox' modem - he loaded a 'Livebox' disc which I have uninstalled by the usual methods but there are usually some elements that don't get uninstalled.

Thanks again for help so far,

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

gyron1
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Yes that lead has helped fix problem. Uninstalling 'Client Service for Netware' seems to have cured the problem.

I guess the guy, or the disc he installed, tried to set up a Network to install the wireless application.

Anyway, the moral to this episode is, I guess, don't let others fiddle with your computer unless you have absolute confidence in their abilities!

Thanks once again Thalamus for coming to my rescue.

Kindest regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome as always Gyron.. :slight_smile: