Join now - be part of our community!

Model not recognized for Sony Windows 8 Upgrade Kit

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Don_Gatto
Visitor

Model not recognized for Sony Windows 8 Upgrade Kit

Hello,

I have recently bought a Vaio SVS1511C5E, Part A of serial no. is ******** and it is a customised model bought online.

I would like to download the Windows 8 Upgrade kit from Sony, but, although the model is declared compatible, I'm unable to download it.

When I enter product code and serial number in the validation page for the Upgrade Kit I get the following message:

WE ARE VERY SORRY: YOUR VAIO IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE VAIO WINDOWS 8 UPGRADE KIT

Why is it not supported if somewhere else it says it is supported? Is this due to the fact that my Vaio is a customised one?

I have contacted Sony support via email some days ago, but no answer yet.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Massimo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

removed serial number..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Don_Gatto
Visitor

Finally I have got the Vaio Windows 8 Upgrade Kit!

I have followed anders' suggestion and contacted mentor media asking to update the database with my serial number. I have got a reply in a couple of hours and I was then able to download the upgrade kit from the mentor media website!

I'll try now to do the upgrade to Windows 8... let's hope it will not be a disaster!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi  massimo_vaio,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

massimo_vaio wrote:

Is this due to the fact that my Vaio is a customised one?

Yes there does seem to be a problem with registering the serial numbers of this configurable Vaio model as there is another thread posted on this forum with the exact same problem..

I have raised your issue to one of our contacts in Sony so hopefully someone from Sony support should be in contact with you soon..

Once Sony have been in contact could you please update us..

Or if contact from Sony is not made in a day or two then please let us know..

Don_Gatto
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from Sony support.

Would it be possible to upgrade to Win 8 just with the Windows upgrade software and without the Sony upgrade kit? Will it cause incompatibilites, missing drivers?

I have just sent an other email to Sony... it appears that now the Part A of my serial number is not anymore recognized even in the Support page!

I hope I will get a reply...

Message was edited by: massimo_vaio

profile.country.no_NO.title
_anders
New

Had the same problem with my new Vaio Z. Contacted Sony support by phone for two weeks, they did nothing. You have to contact mentormedia yourself, tell them to update the database with your SN. You should get a reply within a week or two that your problem is fixed, a long wait, but faster than Sony Support.

Don_Gatto
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to do it!

Don_Gatto
Visitor

Ok, I have got a reply from Sony, which looks a cut & paste email, though...

They are saying that "the Windows 8 upgrade is working perfectly fine for your SVS1511C5E" and suggest me to download the Windows 8 Upgrade Kit from the mentormedia website... Unfortunately they seem to ignore my previous email, where I explicitly told them I cannot download the upgrade kit, because the serial number is not recognized...

I will try to contact mentormedia, as suggested by anders, and let you know...

Don_Gatto
Visitor

Finally I have got the Vaio Windows 8 Upgrade Kit!

I have followed anders' suggestion and contacted mentor media asking to update the database with my serial number. I have got a reply in a couple of hours and I was then able to download the upgrade kit from the mentor media website!

I'll try now to do the upgrade to Windows 8... let's hope it will not be a disaster!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Massimo_Vaio,

I'm glad to see you have managed to finally download the upgrade kit and I'm sorry I was not able to get a solution from Sony for you..

Could you please confirm that you used enquirywin8EU@mentormediacorp.com to contact Mentor Media as this would be useful to anyone else with a similar problem..

Thanks in advance..

Don_Gatto
Visitor

Hi Thalamaus,

I confirm I have sent an email to enquirywin8EU@mentormediacorp.com and I was lucky enough to get a reply after few hours.

Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

massimo_vaio wrote:

Hi Thalamaus,

I confirm I have sent an email to enquirywin8EU@mentormediacorp.com and I was lucky enough to get a reply after few hours.

Thanks again

Thanks Massimo..