Join now - be part of our community!

My battery is either charging incredibly slowly or not at all and not keeping its charge

SOLVED
profile.country.en_AU.title
morpaton
Visitor

My battery is either charging incredibly slowly or not at all and not keeping its charge

I've recently had to purchase a new power cord, as one of the pins into the old adapter broke off.

Ever since I got the new charger I've had nothing but trouble in charging my computer. I've tried all sorts of things, including returning the charger and having it replaced with another. My previuos charger had the code: "VGP-AC19V32" on the back top right corner - the charger I am using now has the numbers "VGP-AC19V42". I was assured that this Sony Vaio charger would work.

Just to rule out a different charger I have tried plugging my computer in with the correct model number, but now it won't charge my battery either. I personally haven't changed any settings on my computer, but I'm wondering if there is something incorrectly registereing related to the battery?

For example today I had my computer plugged in and charging, it told me I had 52% charge, about 1/2 an hour later, after having my computer on standby I then turned it on again to see critical battery at 6% and it shut down on me.

Most of the time, my battery will perhaps charge 1 or 2% and then it just stops. It still says the battery is charging but after many hours the charge hasn't changed. On the odd occasion it does start charging up more, but then takes literally the whole day to charge about 40%. I still haven't been able to charge my computer over night leaving it plugged in and turend off. The same percentage of battery shows in the morning as what it was when I turned the computer off.

I now can't use my computer without a power cord. My battery was fine before, I have had my computer for nearly 3 years now but I was still getting about 2.5 hours of battery life previous to the malfunction with my last charger. My battery under the Vaio Control Centre is still showing as "good", with only one dot down.

I'd love some advice!

I know about the power centre where I can change the percentage it charges to, I currently have that set on 100% as I regularly use my computer on battery power (until now that is). The power cord is definately putting enough power into the unit as I have disconnected the battery also.

My computer is a VGN-SR39XN

Message was edited by: morpaton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi morpaton and welcome.

As with most things computer, it could be a few things.

As your Vaio is about 3 years old, the first thing to try is a replacement battery.  Can you borrow one from a friend or a Sony store to see if your old battery has failed?

I presume you have tried cleaning the contacts to the battery?

The Vaio is obviously receiving power but not directing this to the battery correctly.  If nothing else fixes it, there could be a fault in the power circuitry inside the Vaio and you may need an engineer to examine and fix this.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi morpaton and welcome.

As with most things computer, it could be a few things.

As your Vaio is about 3 years old, the first thing to try is a replacement battery.  Can you borrow one from a friend or a Sony store to see if your old battery has failed?

I presume you have tried cleaning the contacts to the battery?

The Vaio is obviously receiving power but not directing this to the battery correctly.  If nothing else fixes it, there could be a fault in the power circuitry inside the Vaio and you may need an engineer to examine and fix this.

:thinking: