Join now - be part of our community!

On Vaios no Virtualization through Intel VT possible because of Sony's lazyness

suumcuique
Visitor

On Vaios no Virtualization through Intel VT possible because of Sony's lazyness

Hiya,
I'm a newbie in this forum and will never come back.
I only wanted to warn every people who wants to buy a Sony-Laptop to do some XEN, VmWare or VirtualPC-Virtualization. Sony has locked the VT-enable bit in their Phoenix-Bios. The reasons are not understandable, but they did. I bought my Vaio yesterday, a nice VGN-NR11Z/S, did the Vista-Firstboot and tried to let my VmWare Machine rockin'. BUT THE DA***D BIOS HAS NO OPTION TO ENABLE VT !!!!!!!!!!! AND THIS FUNKTION IS LOCKED. ON A CORE2DUO@2GHZ !!!! I will bring it back and will never ever buy again a Sony-Notebook ! No words in their Documentation or in their BluePrints. F***.
Before i bring it back to the dealer, i will do some help on opensource-nvram-drivers to let Vaios work with VT-enabled BIOS.
If you want too, go to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465491 and let the bios DSTD be readed and send it to the Developers. They will get it to work in a few weeks.

I'm very angry about this deal and
about Sony to not let the Buyers know exactly, that their Products are crippled......... :cry:

Anyway, a nice IBM T61 is the better choice no matter the costs.... :devil:

Regards

Suumcuique

4 REPLIES 4
equinoxer
Visitor

I totally agree with you! Seems to be kinda idiots people from Sony.

How the **** to not enable VT?!

IDIOTS FROM SONY UPDATE THE BIOS!!!

PEOPLE DO NOT BUY VAIO'S!!

Karlo206
Visitor

Astoundingly (or perhaps not) no sites, either Sony or LaptopDirect bother inform users of this blatant fault when selling the laptop.

Surely something which is plastered all over the support pages for each and every VAIO 'should' at bare minimum be made obvious to users prior to purchase? Such as for example the fact that when sold with 4 GB ram, only 3 GB will be available on the only supportable OS...

My VPC's run faster on my 3 year old AMD Athlon 64 (3000) cpu with 2 GB ram than on my brand spanking new 4 GB Dual Core T8300. Ask a VPC user to pick a laptop for virtualization and a 300 GB HD, 4 GB Ram and Dual Core T8300 CPU is pretty much top of the range, yet it is close to useless when running VPC's.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Karlo, Hi Suumcuique.

Welcome to Club Vaio.

Check your Personal Messages.

:wink:

API_CS
Visitor

I have the same notebook and the same problem! I urgently need to enable the VT on my VAIO.

Please help!