Join now - be part of our community!

[PCG-SR1K] Replace CPU-Fan with passive Cooler?

KrycekBL
Visitor

[PCG-SR1K] Replace CPU-Fan with passive Cooler?

Hello,
I want to replace the CPU-fan of my (old) VAIO PCG-SR1K with some kind of passive cooling (like Zalmann-Coolers).
1.) Is it realizable with the Mobile Intel® Pentium® III processor 500 Mhz working in my VAIO? (Do you have any solutions?)
2.) I tried to disassemble my VAIO PCG-SR1K to reveal the CPU-fan, but I can't reach it. I could just disassemble the touchpad- bar like it is announced in the "Changing the RAMs"-instruction. How can I reach the fan?

THX a lot for all your answers and sorry for any spelling mistakes :wink:
Krycek

6 REPLIES 6
KrycekBL
Visitor

Are there instructions to disassemble my PCG-SR1K, so I can reveal my CPU or the CPU-fan?

feederfan
Visitor

Ok, I dont know this 100% but i am 95% sure that this is a bad idea. Older laptops and their processors are not designed to have cooling systems changed. There is probably no space on your laptop for a heatpipe to run. In modern laptops, such as my Kseries, the CPU is cooled by a Heatpipe which takes all the heat to a heatsink at the back, which is just behind a vent. I genuinley do not think your proposition is possible, as finding a cooler that would fit in the first place would be near impossible, and then you would find your system temperature would rise to a point where your motherboard components, such as the northbridge and PCMCIA controllers will start to become unstable. I dont think its possible, but if it was it would incur serious performance problems, and result in serious unreliablility

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Hi KBL

Feederfan makes some very good points I don't think there is an sufficient room either.

If excessive heat is your problem have you considered a Notebook Cooler ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

As the others have said I would leave well alone and get a cooler for the base as it's easier to fit.

KrycekBL
Visitor

Ok, thanks.
The problem isn't the cooling itself, but the noise. Perhaps I can replace my fan with another fan (like VERAX or PAPST). But to be able to do that, I need to rech this fan. How can I disassemble the Case for reaching the fan?

feederfan
Visitor

You could definitly do that, a more expensive fan would probably be much quieter, to dissasemble the case you would need to remove the screws on the bottome, they are normally hidden under the little rubber feet, but this differs with different laptop models. Ball bearing fans are the quietest and most reliable, you should be good with coolermaster or another high quality brand. I think you should need a 60mm fan. You need to also consider the fact that it needs to push the same, or more cfm of air through your case as your old one, otherwise you could have overheating problems