Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with NVIDIA driver

profile.country.en_GB.title
peachypear
Visitor

Problem with NVIDIA driver

Hi,

I have a VAIO VGN-FE41S, 32 bit, 4 years old, now out of warranty.

I have problems for a few weeks now with random crashes, so I updated a few things and since I did that my laptop crashes at every startup.  I can only run now in safe mode with networking.

The `blue screen view` states that it is the nvidia driver causing it, even though when I try to update in device manager it is telling me it doesn`t need updating.  The name of the driver is GeForce Go 7600, (file version 7.15.10.9746)

On the nvidia site it shows recommended driver for windows vista but underneath shows that some notebooks are not supported in this release, then when you look down the list it states : Sony  VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these  notebooks)

I`m confused. Any help would be so appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi peachypear,

Sorry for the late reply – it was a busy weekend.

You seem to have eliminated a corrupt nVidia driver as the cause of the problem.

Can you confirm that you are using the original Vaio 32bit Vista operating system?

As you are able to boot in safe mode it would suggest that either a corrupt or incompatible driver or malware is the cause of the problem at Startup.

I suggest that you first run a full virus scan. If that shows nothing then you will need to identify the driver that is causing the problem.

It is a bit of a long winded process but short of a system recovery that will return your computer to factory settings it is the best option.

1)      Boot in Safe Mode and then click Start > Run and type “msconfig” (without quotation marks) in the dialogue box and click ok. Click Continue on the permissions window to open System Configuration. Go to the Startup tab and disable half of the startup items by unchecking, apply, and attempt to reboot without entering safe mode. If the machine boots correctly then open System Configuration and re-enable half of the items that you disabled, apply and re-boot. Continue this process until, hopefully, you find the culprit.

If however the machine fails to start correctly after disabling the first half of the Startup items then proceed as follows.

2)      Re-boot in Safe Mode and enter System Configuration as detailed in 1). Re-enable those items that you disabled and disable the remainder. Re-boot, apply, and attempt to reboot without entering safe mode. Continue the process as in 1).

I would also suggest that you detach all peripherals (printers, USB devices etc.) prior to trying the above.

Good luck,

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
peachypear
Visitor

Hi Rich,

When I check on computer > properties > system, it does state that the system type is 32-bit operating system.

Because I havn`t been very good at updating anything really, it isn`t until I have had these problems that I have discovered that there is a service pack 1 and now 2 that I have never downloaded. I tried the other day, and it took about 4 hours to try to load 1, then the computer spat out it`s dummy and undid it all again, taking several more hours! My own fault I know, it won`t do some things in safe mode with N.

Is there a particular malware program that is compatible with vista? I have had several over the years, some paid and some free. I loaded malwarebytes a few months ago, then took it off and used the microsoft security.

Also, if I do the system recovery does that mean that I will lose everything on the memory?

The only thing I have permanently plugged in is the lead for the wireless mouse.

Thanks again for all your input.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi peachypear,

If by “Microsoft Security” you mean Microsoft Security Essentials then this should be fine. Make sure that on the Home Page you check Full Scan. This will take some time.

For belt and braces you could also try a free anti-virus – Dr. Web CureIT.

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

This is not a resident program and requires no install.

A system recovery will return your computer to the state that it was delivered to you, so you will lose all personal data and third party software. It is therefore important that you back up all personal data to an external storage device. Any third party software will need to be reinstalled and Microsoft and Sony Vaio updates will need to be downloaded and installed – a time consuming process!

I personally would go the route of a virus scan followed by troubleshooting startup device drivers, but a system restore should be a sure fix assuming that there are no hardware issues.

I hope this helps,

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
peachypear
Visitor

Thanks for that. I really didn`t want to do a system restore unless it was the only option left to me. I have some older photo`s on a dongle but more recent stuff I havn`t been able to back up, I got an external hard drive recently but I can`t seem to get stuff on it so presumed it won`t work in safe mode.

Your other suggestion seems a better option but still sounds difficult to a novice like me! Just to clarify, are we not sure that it is the nvidia driver that is causing the problem?

I hope you don`t mind my asking questions, it is helping me understand how things work!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi peachypear,

No I don’t think that it is the nvidia driver as such that is the problem. I know that the mini dump indicated that it was but another driver or software could be conflicting with the nvidia driver. This theory is reinforced by the fact that you now have the updated graphics driver in place.

I may be completely wrong of course but eliminating other drives, as explained in my earlier reply, should confirm this one way or the other. 

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat