Join now - be part of our community!

RAID 0 Error Message

Meld51
Visitor

RAID 0 Error Message

Hello,
I turned my VGN-AR21S on yesterday and found the following error message in the system tray

A drive in a RAID 0 volume is failing. Try to backup data immediately.

I know what this means but I don't know
1. Is it a hardware or a software fault.
2. What o I do to cure this problem.

Meanwhile everything seems to be working OK?

All advice greatfully accepted!

38 REPLIES 38
Meld51
Visitor

Things are looking up. Had a text this evening to say that my VAIO is cured and on it's way back to me. Excellent.

No idea what they did though. Hope there will be a job sheet with it when it returns and we will be ablee to see what went wrong and how it was cured. Other than that we will have to chase via the job number.

Still....good news

grangulo
Visitor

I don´t know the cause of the error message. Perhaps overcharge by huge file transfers. I know how I have wiped off the message:
Go to programs-Intel Matrix Storage Manager-tic "run as administrator"- in the Intel Matrix Storage Console, and run it with advanced view: then change to "normal" the wrong hard disk state ("port 0" or "port 1"). Hope it is useful. :slight_smile: I don´t know the cause of the error message. Perhaps overcharge by huge file transfers. I know how I have wiped off the message:
Go to programs-Intel Matrix Storage Manager-tic "run as administrator"- in the Intel Matrix Storage Console, and run it with advanced view: then change to "normal" the wrong hard disk state ("port 0" or "port 1"). Hope it is useful.

Meld51
Visitor

OK,
More good news...I have my VAIO back!

The delivery note just says HDD failure: replaced

So I don't know what the fault really was.
Experts: If any of you want the job number PM me and you can have it. You may get more information....

Well, I am now off to check it out thoroughly to ensure everything is working OK...and that is one job completely out of the way.

Just the upgrade now....

and the faulty Tosh...

and the trouble I'm having with Virgin Media

and the Bank error not in my favour.....

....think I'll have a lie down...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like a long day to me.

Glad it got fixed, but we're no where nearer to finding the light at the end of the tunnel.

Meld51
Visitor

OK,

I still have a problem...
When this machine went away it had 2 100GB disks
During my checkout I now see that it has the following:

C:\ = 46.5GB
D:\ = 38.6GB

Comments anyone?

There's more:

It appears that they have un-RAIDed the system. Cheeky. I think they should have told me.
Would this have a bearing on the disk size?
Interestingly the Intel Matrix Storage Console shows each drive as being 93.1GB

It seems to me that their solution to the RAID0 problem was to un-RAID my VAIO....but what on earth has happened to the disk sizes? Two different softwares produce different disk sizes???

What is going in here I wonder?
I can't get through to tech support to discuss it. Seems like they are closed at the weekends.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'll flag it, sounds like they've fitted just 1x100GB drive.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

During my checkout I now see that it has the following:

C:\ = 46.5GB
D:\ = 38.6GB

Comments anyone?

Hi Meld,

Don't forget you also have a hidden recovery partition of approx 7.5gb..

Meld51
Visitor

Of course...but I seem to be missing 100GB!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi meld,

Could you post a screen shot of the Intel Matrix Storage Console advance mode view please..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

A screenshot of the Management Console -> Disc Management would also be useful.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Services -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disc Management

:thinking: