Join now - be part of our community!

Screen gets black in my Vaio F11

profile.country.en_GB.title
joperez7798
Visitor

Screen gets black in my Vaio F11

Hi in there! After moving to another house I have broadband and I can watch videos and movies on internet. Before I had mobile broadband and it was impossible. As soon I started doing it the screen sometimes turn black while windows still running. The fan is working heavily and the only solution is pressing the power button and holding it until I shutdown the laptop. The Sony support service has been useless until now. The laptop was bought in March 2010 and it is still in warranty but I do not if it has a easy solution. I have not update the Bios yet and the nvidia driver as I found it difficult let alone the latter. Any help will be welcome. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Your Vaio is probably overheating,  The BIOS update is designed to fix this.

I suggest you update the BIOS and the Graphics driver - that is why updates are released.

:wink:

joperez7798
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, yes you can be right, I will start with the easy one, the Bios. It happens when I use around 27% of the processor. The fans are noisy too in this situation. I found another theory in the net from another forum Daniweb and the solution they give is:

Turns out is something to do with excessive charge stored within the  components of the laptop. In this situation there is a failsafe that  will stop current going to different parts and being the screen uses  more power than anything it is most often affected.

Unplug the power, take the battery out and hold down the power button  for around 60seconds. This will release any excess charge built up in  the machine. Put the power back in and turn on. That's it. You can also  then of course replace the battery

I do not if this is related with the poblem that I have. Many thanks

joperez7798
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, last night I updated the Bios and this morning the problem happened again but, even more worryingly, not after 1hour watching a video at full screen. It has happened just with a 5min one! The problem is not the Bios must be some else that I do not yet.  The symtom has change a bit, the fans are not working heavily and the computer makes a strange noise not related, I presume, with the fans. Any help welcome.

PS  I have not update the graphic card drivers yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That is a little worrying.  Is the video running OK or is it a bit jerky?

I would install the nVidia driver update and if that does not stop the problen, then contact Vaio Support for advice.  Something is not right.

:slight_frown:

joperez7798
Visitor

Hi Blencogo thanks again for answering me. The video runs ok with no symtoms at all. The thing is that the screen turns black and l loose the control of the computer apart from pressing and holding the power buttom until it shut down. I copy the answer from the support team two weeks ago:

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand from your email that videos lag and freeze while streaming from the internet.

Kindly try the following steps to have the issue resolved:

1- Disable the unnecessary services and startups:

-  Click the Start Menu and type run into the Search programs and files  box. Once Windows 7 locates the Run command, click it to open. Type the  phrase msconfig into the open: bar within the Run window.

- Click the OK button.

From  within the System Configuration window, make sure that the General tab  is selected. Under the heading Startup selection, choose the option  titled Selective startup.

-Click  the Startup tab. You will find several different Startup Items listed  in this window. Click to deselect any programs or applications that you  do not need to startup when Windows 7 starts up. After you have  finished, click the OK button.

-  Now move to the "services tab" and mark check " hide all Microsoft  services" and the check all the services in the list except for the  security services , and click "disable all".

- Reboot the VAIO.

2- Delete Temporary Internet Files

Over  time, temporary internet files can begin to build up on your PC and not  only slow it down a bit, but also use valuable hard drive space.  Deleting these files can help regain some speed, especially if you are  using a lower capacity hard drive.

Navigate  the path Start > Control Panel > Internet Options. Make sure that  you are on the first tab General, delete history and cookies.

3-Run a Disk Cleanup:

-Windows  7 stores all kinds of temporary files, just not temporary internet  files. The built-in Disk Cleanup utility makes deleting these files fast  and efficient. To use Disk Cleanup:

-Navigate  the path Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools  > Disk Cleanup OR open up the Start Menu and type Disk Cleanup into  the search box.

Disk Cleanup will then analyze the files on your PC and determine which files can be deleted.

-Go  through the list of items that can be deleted and check any files that  you don’t mind getting rid of. Upon selecting each item in the list,  Disk Utility will give you a brief description of what each item is, in  case you need further explanation. After you have finished selecting,  click the OK button.

4- It could be related to the antivirus program, you can test that on safe mode where there is no antivirus activated:

-           Turn off the VAIO.

-           Turn it back on and while it’s starting keep tapping the button F8 repeatedly.

-           Select safe mode and press enter.

-           In case you feel a difference in the performance, it could be the antivirus and you will need to contact their support.

5- If none of these works, you will need to do a full system recovery as follows:

Kindly note that Sony is not responsible for any data loss, therefore, you can back up the needed data before the recovery.

A) Through the Recovery Partition:

- Turn off your VAIO.

-Turn it back on and while it's starting keep tapping the button F10 repeatedly.

-The next page will be “Edit boot options".

-Press enter.

-Wait for the Recovery centre to load.

-In the left menu, select "Rescue data" to back up the files you are concerned to lose.

After you finish backing up the data, on the same page of the recovery centre, select “complete system Restore ".

-Click start and follow the instructions.

B)  Using the RDVD if you have created them. If you have not created RDVD,  you can purchase them from our end. You will follow the same previous  steps.

This  should answer your query. If at any point of time you feel difficulties  in performing the above-mentioned steps, please get back to us. I am  here to assist you. Please reply with your observation and results  because it is important that we resolve the issue in a timely manner. If  you wish to receive a call back, just provide us with the preferred  timeframe and contact numbers in order to receive a Phone call from our  support team.

The problem is that the video does not lag or freeze when streaming video, only that the screen gets black and it must be another problem.

joperez7798
Visitor

I will text the problem today and tomorrow I will try to update the graphic card. Let you know the result of that Blencogo, thanks.