Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Problems. Help Please?

albert99
Visitor

Screen Problems. Help Please?

I have just purchased a Vaio note book with a 'glossy' WXGA screen. Whenever I watch a DVD, the quality diminishes when one does not look at the screen at 90 degree. The screen does not appear to work like a television in that it can be viewed from a different angle. Why is this?

21 REPLIES 21
sammiimmas
Visitor

I dont know which part of the question is extremely relevant other than the angle but I can tell you what I know of screens in general that may give you some answers...bear with me.

When we are out to buy notebooks I dont know about you but I look at the screen and if it looks good then its good enough. Its only afterwards that you actually think oh what was that other one? or what did that abbreviation stand for? simply due to the excitement at the time of purchasing.

Well to start with I think that you should know notebooks have been over complicated really as tvs just come in predominantly two sizes standard or widescreen (refering to aspect ratio and resolution).
Resolution more properly refers to the sharpness/detail of the visual image. Image is created when a beam of electrons strikes phosphors which coat the base of the monitor's "screen.
A group of 1 red, 1 green and 1 blue phosphor is known as a pixel. It represents the smallest piece of the screen that can be controlled individually, and each pixel can be set to a different color and intensity. A complete screen image is composed of thousands of pixels and the screen's resolution - specified in terms of a row by column figure - is the maximum number of displayable pixels.
The higher the resolution, the more pixels that can be displayed and therefore the more information the screen can display at any given time.

Now standard screens have the following resolutions that are further simplified to give you the aspect ratio (final value):
XGA / 1024x768 / 4:3
SXGA / 1280x1024 / 5:4*
SXGA+ / 1400x1050 / 4:3
UXGA / 1600x1200 / 4:3

"Widescreen" Screens
WXGA / 1280x768 / 5:3**
WXGA / 1280x800 / 8:5 (16:10)***
WXGA+ / 1440x900 / 8:5 (16:10)***
WSXGA+ / 1680x1050 / 8:5 (16:10)***
WUXGA / 1920x1200 / 8:5 (16:10)***

The asterix show the anamolies such as the SXGA which rarely comes at that resolution as to maintain the aspect ratio is actually 1280x960.

Also, one major pain is that ultraportable notebooks will sometimes use a resolution of 1280x768 instead of 1280x800, and that's even weirder. Note that any of these screens can scale down in resolution.Notebook screens have a fixed number of pixels (while desktop CRT monitors do not), pixels are essentially "blended" to achieve the intended resolution. In older screens this tended to look pretty awful, but newer ones blend very well and produce a fairly good picture. Still, it won't look as good as the screen's native resolution.

The reason that I mention any of this is because I've seen people ask if their screen can run at a lower resolution, and yes, it can. But you probably won't want to. Gamers will actually probably want to stick to lower resolution screens so the games can run at native resolution, while multimedia enthusiasts (digital image manipulation, video editing) will want to get as high a resolution as they can.

Screen Size, So now you have the fundamentals for understanding how many pixels are on the screen, but what about the screen size? When a manufacturer lists a screen size in inches, it measures distance from the bottom left corner to the top right corner. A 15.4", is 15.4" from the bottom left corner to the top right corner.
Below is a list of the typical screen sizes you can expect to find and the resolutions they routinely appear with. Note that the first one in each list will be by far the most common one.
Standard Screen Sizes and Typical Resolutions:
14" - XGA
15" - XGA, SXGA+
Widescreen Screen Sizes and Typical Resolutions:
10.6" - WXGA (1280x768)
12.1" - WXGA (1280x800)
13.3" - WXGA (1280x800)
14.1" - WXGA (1280x800)
15.4" - WXGA (1280x800), WXGA+, WSXGA+
17" - WXGA, WXGA+, WSXGA+, WUXGA
(always keeping an eye on the one you are concerned with!)

14.1" seems to be the sweet spot for travel-ready notebooks, while 15.4" is more for notebooks geared for desktop replacement, and 17" is almost strictly desktop replacement. The lower sizes are for ultraportables and thin and lights. Next you mentioned glossy?

Glossy Vs. Matte
There are basically two flavors of screen available on notebooks (and flat panel monitors in general) right now: glossy and matte. Because glossy screens are more common these days, I'll go over those first. Glossy screens are just that - glossy. They have a coating applied to the screen beneath them that is reflective, but also helps reduce "screen door effect" - the black spaces between pixels - and improves the contrast and brightness of the image.
Of course, the downside of a glossy screen is the reflectiveness. It's not at all uncommon to catch a crystal clear reflection or a glare off of something in the environment. Additionally, some users have reported that glossy screens cause more eyestrain for them than matte screens. This pretty much boils down to personal preference.

To look directly at a notebook screen, you'll know if it's a glossy or not solely because of the reflectivity of the screen and contrast of the picture. However, if you don't have that option (buying online, for eg), glossy screens are typically noted by a special name. Sony calls them XBRITE, Fujitsu calls them CrystalView. You'll know a glossy screen when you see the option, because many order online notebooks offer the glossy screen at an extra cost (usually a small cost; HP adds £15).

Matte screens are basically the screens of old, although they do still see use today and for some, these are preferable. These have no reflectivity, and newer ones still have excellent contrast. The "screen door effect" can be more pronounced on these screens. These tend to be less expensive than glossy screens. Even if you're shopping online, you'll want to go to a local retailer and actually get a good look at the screens for yourself so you know the difference. It's one of those things that can't be fully articulated and should be experienced personally.

THE ANGLE PART........Notebook screens and flat panel monitors are unique in that unlike their boxy CRT cousins, they don't always look the same from different angles. The best picture a viewer can get of a notebook screen is invariably from straight on (like you mentioned). From the sides and especially from above, contrast may seem off, and colors may look different. This really varies from notebook to notebook and by and large isn't a huge problem. If you're in the store, you can check it out for yourself.
More expensive screens tend to have better viewing angles than the cheaper ones; getting into any more detail than that would require delving into esoterica that likely the technician at your local retail store isn't even familiar with or even you or me. Suffice to say, while viewing angles used to be a huge problem with these screens (early notebooks were practically unviewable from the sides), it's pretty tolerable and minor these days.

So basically thats the Tech behind it and seen as you have only bought your Vaio and if its too much trouble you can always take it back but I would prefer the glossy screen as its resolutions and display are so much better. Tell you what though its not as bad as my dads widescreen toshiba tv he's the only one who gets to watch it No matter where the rest of us place ourselves.:smileycry: :laughing: :cry:

However finally just to some up what screen you should go for in case you fall into the same curiosity as albert did;

Internet, E-mail, Word Processing - The casual user would be served well even by a £400 notebook. For you, pretty much any screen will do. Obviously if you want more screen real estate, a bump in resolution might work for you, but keep in mind that increased resolution means text is going to be smaller. And while Windows will let you scale up text size to make it more legible, it almost never looks very good. This becomes entirely personal preference, though I'd suggest a matte screen over a glossy.

Gaming - I cannot for the life of me understand why widescreen notebooks are the default for gaming now, but there you go. I personally would still recommend a standard aspect ratio over widescreen but you're going to want to keep your screen resolution on the lower side. Whatever the lowest resolution available for your chosen screen size is, you're going to want it. Games look best when running at the native resolution of the screen. Note, too, that your screen likely won't get smaller than 14", since thin-and-light and ultraportable notebooks seldom have the hardware required to properly run games. A glossy screen would be ideal, but that's going to be a personal preference.

Movies - You want a widescreen notebook, and probably one of the lower resolutions. Since most movies today come out in widescreen aspect ratio, this will be ideal for you. Also keep in mind that if you're going to be watching movies more on the road (or in the air), you'll want a smaller screen so your notebook takes up less real estate. If you're watching them at home (or in a student dorm setting, for example), you'll want a larger screen, possibly even a 17". For either situation, a glossy screen isn't just ideal, it's almost essential.

Visual Multimedia - For digital video editing and image manipulation, I've found a glossy screen to be ideal. You'll also want one of the larger screens and, quite frankly, high resolution. My 15.4" widescreen is 1280x800 (WXGA) and frankly, just doesn't cut it for Adobe After Effects, and barely does for Premiere Pro. You want as much screen real estate as you can get, so you're going to want to pay extra for a higher resolution screen. You'll also want a widescreen, especially the video geeks. Your notebook is NOT going to be cheap, considering you're going to need a lot of RAM, a decent speed hard disk, and a powerful processor backing up that screen. HP, Compaq and Gateway fit this category I'm told personally I stick to my Vaio. So if you're on a budget doing this, you may want to get an inexpensive external monitor.

But above all take a look around, read reviews and listen to others experiences and what they like or disliked especially when its such a touchy preference. Screens are not bound under performance grades it all boils down to perception either you like it or you dont, simple as.

I hope this load of knowledge helps you Albert, whatever the choice...............make it a Vaio:smileygrin: :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Why not just give a link to and/or acknowledgement of the original article…..

Original Artical.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

LOL :laughing:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah please do credit articles you post, you'll get Sony in hot water!

sammiimmas
Visitor

Not everyones an ass who likes to use links they'd rather just have the info put accross to them.

If it was about posting links or directing this forum wouldnt be here(dick).

Sammi

kee-lo_

There is no need to take that tone with me, I am just explaining to you that if you are using other people's solutions you should really credit them.

If you don't mind some of the solutions I give I don't just rip off other sites.

Seriously though please try to be a bit more polite and stop being rude to those trying to help you.

sammiimmas
Visitor

I wasnt answering to you, I'm not having a problem here and regardless of where it came from its helping and thats what this forum is all about.

Maybe the experts should recall why they're being called experts in the first place.

If theres something wrong that I am doing report me and I will be removed if needed, as far as I know I was trying to help with someones query and happened to come accross something which may have been of help.
Still dont see where the problem is.
Sammi

kee-lo_

The only problem I see is the attitude.

I hope we can sort this out without the mods, it's not cool kicking people out.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Your attitude is the problem. Sort it out or please feel free to leave.