Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
nicktg57
Visitor

Hi ALL,

My laptop is a VGN-A497XP bought 18 months ago, with Pentium M 760, 2GHz
1024 MB/Mo, 100GB HDD, 802.11b/g wlan and 17" WUXGA X-black LCD.

Windows Vista Upgarde Advisor reports no information on the following devices:
- HP Color LaserJet 2605 PCL 6
- HP Color LaserJet 2600n
- AGFA-AccuSet 1000
- Texas Instruments PCI7420 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
(The last 2 I have no idea what they are)

Program Compatability issues are reported with the following:
- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log
- Alps Pointing-device Driver
- ATI Desktop
- Sony Corporation Utilities

VAIO Support Drivers & Updates lists only XP drivers etc. I know that support for VISTA is expected end of March, but will i have any major issues with upgrading to VISTA Ultimate and will the fixes described in this threat be applicable with my machine?

Clivehall
Visitor

Hi,
I have tried to use vista business with my TX3HP/W and still having no luck with the hotkeys. I installed everything as you suggested but still nothing works.. Any more ideas please ???

matrixfede
Visitor

I think that you have forgotten one thing... the problem with the lid..How to fix it and keeps all functions? :thinking:

I'll try to expalin better..

Some people have problem with the lid, when close the lid and reopen it the screen remain black, only fix for this is to change the driver for the ACPI lid with another one but in this way windows do not reconize the lid and we lost all functions about the lid I.E. standby when close the lid and others..

Another problem is with VAIO Power Management... In windows xp when VAIO Power Management was on, when someone disconnect the power supply screen reduced the light and other functions, on windows vista i can't see the effect of vaio power managment...of course i've installed VAIO Power Management and it seems installed well but dosen't work..
Some one have an idea?

Sorry for my english :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

from italy :heart_eyes:

Federico :cool:

Bwelbeck
Visitor

hey there,great work just wondering was your message applicable for upgrades to vista only,or for original vista vaios?eg; ar31m vista home premium:smileygrin:

sunking101
Visitor

So the power management of the CPU is different from XP ?! because under XP this wasn't so "immediate"....

Hi BlackDevil,

When the MS Team were working on VISTA one of there main aims were "Reducing Power Usage" They made changes to dramatically improve idle power consumption. There goal was to reduce power consumption by powering key components down more frequently and leaving them powered down for longer periods while still maintaining a great user experience.
For example,
While Windows XP did a great job of lowering CPU speed and voltage whenever possible, in Windows Vista they added enhanced capabilities to use power more efficiently on multi-core systems. They created new APIs so that driver and application developers can get notifications about the power scheme being used on the system and then adapt their behavior for the power scheme. Finally, all of the power management configurations parameters can be controlled by the IT department (on a PC-by-PC basis) using Group Policy if they want to tweak the defaults, making corporate deployment of these features easily manageable.

:wink: So it has changed & for the better too. :cool:

Yes but sadly this new power management has introduced the dreaded Vista cpu whine. RM Clock and other 3rd party utilities can get rid of this whine but in a heavy handed manner - they just crank the cpu to full power and leave it there. Your laptop's temp will increase, the fan will be on all the time and the battery life will reduce. That isn't a 'fix' in my book and until MS or SONY come up with a genuine solution to this problem, I'm sticking with XP.

loathsome
Visitor

So the power management of the CPU is different from XP ?! because under XP this wasn't so "immediate"....

Hi BlackDevil,

When the MS Team were working on VISTA one of there main aims were "Reducing Power Usage" They made changes to dramatically improve idle power consumption. There goal was to reduce power consumption by powering key components down more frequently and leaving them powered down for longer periods while still maintaining a great user experience.
For example,
While Windows XP did a great job of lowering CPU speed and voltage whenever possible, in Windows Vista they added enhanced capabilities to use power more efficiently on multi-core systems. They created new APIs so that driver and application developers can get notifications about the power scheme being used on the system and then adapt their behavior for the power scheme. Finally, all of the power management configurations parameters can be controlled by the IT department (on a PC-by-PC basis) using Group Policy if they want to tweak the defaults, making corporate deployment of these features easily manageable.

Yes but sadly this new power management has introduced the dreaded Vista cpu whine. RM Clock and other 3rd party utilities can get rid of this whine but in a heavy handed manner - they just crank the cpu to full power and leave it there. Your laptop's temp will increase, the fan will be on all the time and the battery life will reduce. That isn't a 'fix' in my book and until MS or SONY come up with a genuine solution to this problem, I'm sticking with XP.

I think you're misunderstanding - what RMClock does is to enable a technology called HLT. This tricks Windows to THINK that 100% of the CPU is used, but in fact - it's only using 1-2%. RMClock comes with a CPU-monitoring tool, and in that you can see that you're not using 100% of the CPU at all.

I'm running the RMClock 24/7, and I've not experienced that my VAIO runs hotter, the fans runs as they've always done - so basically, everything is as normal exept two things;

1) Windows Task Manager will not display correct CPU use (just use the RMClock one)
2) No whine :smileygrin:

Until some sort of official patch or something comes out, this is an absolutely accepted fix.

loathsome+

sunking101
Visitor

Hi BlackDevil,

For example,

I think you're misunderstanding - what RMClock does is to enable a technology called HLT. This tricks Windows to THINK that 100% of the CPU is used, but in fact - it's only using 1-2%. RMClock comes with a CPU-monitoring tool, and in that you can see that you're not using 100% of the CPU at all.

I'm running the RMClock 24/7, and I've not experienced that my VAIO runs hotter, the fans runs as they've always done - so basically, everything is as normal exept two things;

1) Windows Task Manager will not display correct CPU use (just use the RMClock one)
2) No whine :smileygrin:

Until some sort of official patch or something comes out, this is an absolutely accepted fix.

loathsome+

No, you're misunderstanding it. If you have enabled 'Run HLT command when system is idle' check box, then task manager showing 100% usage is normal since RM Clock basically steals idle time from the OS and constantly sets the processor to a C1 sleep state. Many people have found setting this to C1 state solves the high pitch noise issue. The only drawback here is that doing this does not allow the processor to step down to deeper C2/C3 sleep states. Hence your cpu will be warmer at idle and using more power, thus affecting the battery. It is a cheap workaround, not a cure. Some pcs are hit harder than others with this whining. VAIOs are generally less hit than most brands, Toshiba being particularly affected.

theblackdevil
Visitor

Hi,

I have found a wiget that show you the frequency of the CPU in real time

There is the link

And the last version of Everest show you the real frequency and the real voltage of the CPU.

So efficiently Vista really down the frequency and the voltage, the lowest for my CPU is 0.9V and 1Ghz (with the power supply).

If I'm right XP down the CPU frequency until 800mhz...

I'll test with the battery in order to know if this "new" power management is better than XP.

Anybody have made the comparison ?

Thank you.

rbs1971
Explorer

Hi, i recently bought the VGN-BX396XP, have done the same bad experiences after VISTA Express Upgrade and the solution was the use of RMClock Util. So know the laptop is quiet, but i'm a little bit unsecure if the tool could probably damage the hardware?!

sunking101
Visitor

Hi, i recently bought the VGN-BX396XP, have done the same bad experiences after VISTA Express Upgrade and the solution was the use of RMClock Util. So know the laptop is quiet, but i'm a little bit unsecure if the tool could probably damage the hardware?!

You're basically running your machine on full power all the time, regardless if you're just surfing the 'net or running intensive graphics programs. Running your cpu & cooling fan on full power 100% of the time is bound to have an effect on longevity as well as battery power if you're not connected to the mains. I couldn't do with the whine and am running XP Pro - I have the same machine as you, the BX396XP. Manufacturers are going to have to change their hardware to run quiet with Vista. People won't put up with whining computers! Basically anything released until the day they do will be better off running XP.