Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
MichaelLeppan
Visitor

Broken link above

BonzoBall
Visitor

just a test - please ignore

MiRo85
Visitor

HEEEEEEEELP!!!
when my vaio starts the WLAN button is on. but suddenly it turns off and my connection is still on but is not responding and after 5-10 min. the connection stops,but if i restart my VAIO VGN-FZ11M everything is happening again and again and again..
PLEASE,IS ANYBODY INTERESTED TO HELP ME???
if it's possible to answer me via e-mail please reply me on: MiRo11285@hotmail.com
because i think that is difficult to connect again.. please help!!!

LOTUSV8SE
Visitor

HI. WHERE DO U GET THESE INSTALLATION COZ UR LINKS DO NOT WORK!!!!!

matrixfede
Visitor

I've sony vaio fs-315h with geforce 6400go and I've installed vista ultimate. I have lidproblem, when i close the lid the screen remain black and also adaptive screen doesn't work? there are any solution?

nio_7
Visitor

I installed the software updates as you said for my model, and the Hotfix for the Unknown Device of Device Manager, The S buttons worked ok But something odd is happening with the Brightness FN keys!!

When i press FN+F5 the brightness indication appears!! but.. 😞 it can change only between the first bar-spot and none. And as i do so, nothing changes to the brightness at all!

SEE WHAT I MEAN IN THE ATTACHES PHOTO!!!

I mean that i can not make the indication go up more than a single square when pressing FN+F6. Something ain't right / not compatible.

Please if you could tell me some idea!! I think that i 'll have to downgrade due to this!!

Grrrr!!!! 😞 ;( PLs help...

nio_7
Visitor

-->>VGN-FE31H VISTA WITH FN KEYS WORKING AT LAST!!!!
I made it!!!! I don't believe it!!

I found that the graphic's card driver was causing this issue!!

I installed the Driver giver in the Vaio Updates for vista for my model and that was it!
I did try several times to install that driver before, but i was getting an erron in installation. What was needed was to turn off the User Acount Control.

Ofcourse, hadn't it been for that Hotfix for the unknown device, i wouldn't have been able to fix it at all!!

I can now give directions to anyone else suffering rfom the same problem.
I'm happy now with my vista!!

TigerDE2
Visitor

Hi there!

Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. 

That website is no longer available (error 404). Does anybody know where those downloads have been moved to? :slight_smile:
Is that the right site:
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/VISTAUPGRADE/
(found via Internet Archive's Wayback Machine )

ghemul
Visitor

hello all,
I have a vaio vgn-fz31m and did a system upgrade from vista home 32 bit to vista ultimate 64 bit sp1. after a hard time getting all the drivers and the system to a stable state, i noticed i don't have any sound when connecting to a lcd tv through hdmi port.

I tried everything, from disabling the onboard speakers to manually trying to find and install drivers for the hdmi audio controller.

If anyone knows the solution, please help