Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
Simpetus
Visitor

Hi All!

Recently I've updated my windows vista, and I was stupid enough to update audio drivers too, after reboot, there are no sound and sound device. I've searched everywhere, but on official site of SigmaTel there are no drivers, and in package of preinstalled drivers(on Sony VAIO support page) too.

Any ideas? Help, please!

Simpetus
Visitor

I've found a key to my problem here ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/SZ4-SZ5/DRIVERS/2_AUDIO.ZIP it's driver for xp, but it goes just fine on Vista too. :smileygrin:

Martinuci
Visitor

Hi,

i have Sony VAIO FZ21M, which comes with instalation software for VISTA inside. Last week, but also yesterday I updated the software from the Vaio site. Unfortunately, it caused that Internet Explorer and Firefox to be not able to open various sites like Hotmail, Gmail, some local sites, as well to disable Google searching.

I already spent few days last time with preinstalation of the whole software, and I don't want to repeat againg this bad job. Can somebody help me, with recovering the web browsers for normal functioning.

Thanks

Martinuci
Visitor

Hi,

i have Sony VAIO FZ21M, which comes with instalation software for VISTA inside. Last week, but also yesterday I updated the software from the Vaio site. Unfortunately, it caused that Internet Explorer and Firefox to be not able to open various sites like Hotmail, Gmail, some local sites, as well to disable Google searching.

I already spent few days last time with preinstalation of the whole software, but I don't want to repeat again this bad job. Can somebody help me, with recovering the web browsers for normal functioning.

Thanks

Channi3
Visitor

Hi, i've followed your instructions and successfully got vista up and running.

The only problem that i have is that my brightness hotkeys dont work, but my volume hotkeys do.

I didn't apply the sonync.cab driver, as there are no "unknown device" in my device manager.

Any ideas?

Thanks

darthpaul
Visitor

Hi, i've followed your instructions and successfully got vista up and running.

The only problem that i have is that my brightness hotkeys dont work, but my volume hotkeys do.

I didn't apply the sonync.cab driver, as there are no "unknown device" in my device manager.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have exactly the same issue as this, also my S1 and S2 and Eject buttons dont work. I have a VAIO AR61S

treegods
Visitor

hi
i have a fe28h and have done a clean install of vista ultimate and installed the drivers and utillitys in the order specified but i cannot get my motion eye web cam to work vista will not properly install the driver given by sony site. ialso cannot get the inbuild microphone to work. any help would be great!

thanks

LouFace
Visitor

Hey, I've tried the link in the first post to try and sort my hot keys out but it doesn't seem to be working any more.

Can anyone help out this noob? I've not a clue how to fix my volume buttons 😞

Mornin
Visitor

Hi Loathsome

Will this work with my Vaio VGN-NR21/J

francis997
Visitor

Hi all,

I have a Vaio FW11M, and i installed another version of vista on my pc, a Ultimate version. THe pc came with the Home Premium, also i installed a spanish version which didn't came with the pc.
I got everything working exept a few FN keys. The mute key works but the Brightness/external display and Standby(hibernate) keys don't work.
I followed about 3 guides and did almost 3 times a clean install but it doesn't help.

So please HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP