Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
cptbill
Visitor

Not sure if this has been discussed before.
I have a FZ11M and i want to get rid of all the preinstalled software. The only solution seems to be a clean install.

If i try to clean install vista home premium (from another vista installation cd for example) and use the product key supplied on my Vaio, will i be able to use Vista legally?

RichardFrayling
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus! Should i be doing this in any particular order? and what will it fix?

Rohnerpe
Visitor

Hi

What is the official Sony policy regarding Vista service pack 1 this March? Will it be provided as an already adapted version via Vaio update a little bit later or does one have to download the service pack via Microsoft?

Do you go straight for the service pack or do you wait some time until the first feedback here is available?

Regards

Peter, Switzerland

steelem
Visitor

first time round i didnt follow the guide & downloaded at will & therefore did not work but i uninstalled event services etc & downloaded from fresh

~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

on thing i noticed is everytime i downloaded my torrent tool appeared i cancelled & another comes up to download VIA FTP - DOWNLOAD THIS - in the order of above & all should work - pls also note if trying to download memory stick you firstly need to download the driver on the windows xp then download the visata patch

camel33
Visitor

Hi there..sorry if this has already been dealt with...but i have just bought a VGN-CR19VN/B and there seems to be a problem with the inbuilt camera. In order to use it to do a webcall, I have to uninstall it via "devices" every time and it's really hit or miss whether it works at all. Does anyone have any advice for a very un-techie Vaio owner. thanks

lefin17
Visitor

It's possible ok, but how to fix this problem to VGN-CR11SR/P with WinXP PRO.
FN bunction didn't work with buttons like 'change britness', ''swiching monitors', etc....

kerryburn
Visitor

Hi Loathsome,

can you help with this?

Dear all,

I have two strange and infuriating problems

I have a TZ 21 WNB running Vista Ultimate and has all of the latest drivers. in relation to Wifi, specifically around hotspot login I find that I can log into some areas and not others.

an example would be that I am currently working in Seattle and I can log onto the guest wireless at Microsoft without any problems, when I return to the hotel (Hyatt in Bellevue) I find that whilst I can access the hotspot, it will not give me an IP address instead I get an Auto private address, I have also noticed this when I try BT Openzone in other hotels as well.

by way of elimination I have of course tried other wifi devices (my HTC phone an S710 and an HP laptop with a 2200 in it) and these connect immediately. I have also tried IP resets and dnsflush as well.

I have tried Proset to no avail and equally I have loaded the latest drivers etc.

Can anyone help, I even rebuilt the machine at the weekend to try and help. I should point out that WWAN works fine (using Vodafone desktop mobile connect) and LAN is fine as well.

If anyone can shed any light I would be grateful.

the other problem is more annoying, when I am typing, in any app, the cursor will jump to elsewhere when I am typing, has anyone experienced / fixed this??

cheers

Kerry

n1zn
Visitor

Hi all.

I have a Vaio FZ21M and can't install Service Pack 1 in my Vista Home Premium.

At the end of the installation says: Service Pack 1 did not install. Reverting changes.

Does anybody have this problem?

Thanks

marcooz
Visitor

Important Information for everybody who has Problems with his FN-/S-Keys and the Control Center. Go into you Bios and look for the option: "Hotkey Event Code". XP uses Type 1. Vista Type 2 or 3. On my 285H it was 2. Try it. It fixed ALL my problems with windows vista. Look in my Thread in this board.

I think Dilirius has hit the crux of it. Unfortunately though I cannot change my Hotkey Event Code in the Bios for my VGN-A297XP. This is due to Sony and other manufacturers locking down the bios I believe. And AmiBios are not giving out my bios as a download to be able to upgrade.. . I've noticed though that as soon as you reload your default bios values my brightness is turned on as default again which is better than the dim version where you can't see anything should it actually be nice outside.

With regards to the sony drivers to be loaded in the specific sequence: this has not worked for me at all. And believe me i've tried. Old, new, other model drivers in any sequence you care to mention. So, unless someone comes up with something clever, I might just possibly go back to XP though I do like some of the Vista features. Shame.

Good Luck everyone!

Wander
Visitor

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

Hi all!
I'm keen to get my VGN-TX1HP back up to speed after a Vista clean install, there are a couple of things about the above post I can't figure out....HELP PLEASE!
1. For the Hot Key fix, how do you install those Sony NC files into device manager?

2. The "whine noise", I have to admit mine sounds like there's a cooling fan going non stop, is this the noise? To install the fix download above....where is "Management" to enable run hlt etc

3. Last one! My audio jack has stopped working after the reinstall, the mic jack is fine. Any ideas?

All help gratefully recieved! Thanks!
Alex
:smileygrin: