Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Laptop turns on by itself in the middle of every night!

profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

Sony Vaio Laptop turns on by itself in the middle of every night!

I've had an issue with my computer for a few weeks now. In the middle of every night it turns on. Usually it's once during the night, but sometimes it is twice.

It is extremely frustrating as my computer's fan is very loud (another issue with my laptop) and it wakes me up, as the computer is next to my bed. I then have to get up and manually turn off the computer again.

While I normally turn it off into sleep mode, I have also tried hibernate mode and that doesn't solve the issue. I've also tried to unplug the mouse and all my other peripherals before going to bed, but the computer still comes back on in the night.

I've searched online and tried many of the steps on webpages such as this one, but nothing works.

The computer I have is a Sony Vaio laptop VPCF13Z1E and the operating system is Windows 8.

Is there any advice anybody can give on how I can try to resolve this issue please?

One thing I've noticed is that the computer often comes on at 4:30am. Is there anywhere in the computer's logs I can check to see what process is running at that time?

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor
profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

Thank you for all those tips. They are really appreciated.

I've taken the steps in the links you suggest, but it hasn't resolved the issue.

I'm still suffering this problem every night and it's been like this for months. The Vaio is coming on a couple of times on most nights and it's affecting my sleep as it wakes me up each time.

I've looked through the computer logs and found that every night there is a "Warning" just before the computer comes on. Unfortunately I can't understand what's causing it, as it simply says "DNS Client Events".

Please see screenshot below from Adminstrative Events in my Win 8.1.

Anybody know what could be causing the computer to switch on or what I need to do to find out what's leading to it please?

Capture-Computer-Logs.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

I'm still suffering same problem a year later. Endless problems like this are why people deem PCs to be too much of a headache and are abandoning them in their millions to use mobiles and tablets instead.
r60juke
New

I am having exactly the same problem (for a few months now), and I also have a Sony Vaio.. (not exactly helpful, I know, but you're not alone!)

profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering the same issues.

After months of problems (and resorting to actually moving my PC into the next room, so that it didn't wake me up every night!), I eventually found a solution in case it's of use to you:

Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Task Scheduler

It tasks a fair bit of granular analysis, but you may be able to pick up any programs that are triggering the computer to come on by itself. You can look at the computer logs to see what program led to the computer switching on at a particular point.

Good luck.

Hiya,

I too had this same issue with my vaio for a few months and tried a few things hope they help if you haven't tried them already (might be a little late 2 years on but here they are the possible solutions):

1) Providing you use windows 8 (may need a slightly different approach for other windows operating systems), I went to the start page and used the search bar to navigate to the "Power Options" window, then scrolled down the list to find the "Allow wake timers" options, I then diasabled both the "On battery" and "Plugged in" options, after which i looked through the rest of the power options list to see if there could be any other things causing this problem, that i could disable.

2) You could also try checking out this website (linked below) if you haven't already to try and determine the source fo the problem:

http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/ 

Hope this helps everyone :slight_smile: