Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M Recovery

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M Recovery

Hi,

I have a sony vaio vgn-fe21m, I need to reinstall my windows xp and I unable to do it since the recovery is not working. I have tried using F10 option but it does not work, I checked it if the recovery partion is available or not and found it is still there but it does not run the recovery process. I tried running it manually but still it does not work. I tried it through recovery disc which I had but it starts for a min and then it just stucks and do nothing. I have original recovery discs but I have 1 of them missing, can anyone tell me what exactly I can do?

regards,

Rehan

Ps: My Sony Vaio is out of warranty.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I guess F10 option is not working because its not in EISA format so its unable to access the recovery partation

I agree..

if I could change it back to EISA format then it might work which I do not know how to do.

Possibly but it's unclear if your friend has changed anything during the conversion process..

Best I can suggest is that you look through the C: Recovery drive & see if any of the .exe files work..:smileyconfused:

I still think the simplest option is to purchase a set of recovery disc's..

I have tried contacting sony but thats not an easy job either. Since  that 0905 number charges you alot and then they just transfer you here  and there and I end up giving them my details but I am sure no one will  contact me back as I have done that previously and no one got back to  me.

Someone should contact you back, if you do not receive a call post back & I'll try to help..

I guess I have learnt the lesson about purchasing Sony products, 

In all fairness it's not Sony's fault.. When you purchased your Vaio you would have been prompted several times to create a set of recovery disc's & also if your friend had not altered the hidden recovery partition's format then pressing F10 at start up would have worked & allowed you to recover your vaio..:smileywink:

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rehan-Butt,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

If your Vaio is still using the original Sony supplied OS have you tried creating another set of recovery disc's.?

Does the recovery process start when in Safe mode.?

What happens when you try pressing the F10 key after the Vaio logo appears.?

If all fails you can, if you wish, purchase a set of recovery discs from Vaio  support which should allow you to restore the original Vaio supplied OS  and applications..

Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply. No I do not have original windows on my VAIO as my silly friend installed pirated windows on it so I can not create recovery disc's. I have tried safe mode as well but the Recovery process does not start. If i press F10, nothing happens, it just continue loading windows and yes VAIO logo does appear. So do you recommend that I do not have any other option other then buying recovery disc's even I have recovery partation available. Also if that is the only option how much will it cost me and who I can contact to buy the disc's. Also what if the recovery disc's did not work?

regards,

Rehan

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

my silly friend installed pirated windows on it

Hmm your friend may have removed the recovery partition during the installation..

You can check if the recovery partiton is still present by doing the following..

Click Start then click Control panel.

In  Control Panel click on Performance and Maintenance, then click on  Administrative Tools and finally click on Computer Management..

A new window should open click on Disk Management and maximise the window.

The recovery partition should be an EISA configuration, check the capacity and Free space quoted..

So do you recommend that I do not have any other option other then  buying recovery disc's even I have recovery partation available.

The recovery discs should allow you restore the original Sony supplied OS & pre-installed applications onto your vaio..

Also if that is the only option how much will it cost me and who I can contact to buy the disc's.

You'll need to contact Vaio support to purchase a set of recovery disc's as to the cost I'm not sure as the price is different for each series..

Click the following link - Contact Sony

Then click on Vaio & Computing & follow the instructions..

Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply again. I have attached a screen shot for your reference as well. I do not think he has deleted the recovery partation as you will be able to see that in attached picture. As per picture you can see that recovery partation do exist, but I am not sure what you meant by ' EISA configration ' Although recovery partation is only 7% free. Let me know if there is something I can do.

regards,

Rehan

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

it appears your friend may have converted the EISA recovery partition to NTFS, that could explain why you are not able to access the hidden partition during the recovery proces..

This is similar (XP is slightly different to this image) to what you should be seeing -

EISA.JPG

Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Hi,

Well it is XP but when i start my vaio it shows it as Windows Vista blackdream, anyways can i convert recovery partation back to EISA or not? what is the solution?

regards,

Rehan

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Well it is XP but when i start my vaio it shows it as Windows Vista blackdream

Hi Rehan,

I think the simplest solution may be to contact Vaio support & purchase a set of recovery discs which should allow  you to restore the original Vaio supplied OS and applications..

I'd also be inclined to ask your friend to pay for them..:smileywink:

Rehan-Butt
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your time. Well I wish I could ask him for money but that will be only possible when I will go back home (Pak) again and that will cost £650 minimum 🙂 so I rather buy recovery discs.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

I doubt that would work to be honest, but feel free to give it a go..

Have you checked what's available in the old recovery the partition to see if you are able to run the recovery program.?