Join now - be part of our community!

Stereo Mix device turned off on Vista+Vaio systems?

Nickblaster
Visitor

Stereo Mix device turned off on Vista+Vaio systems?

Hi and excuse my english for not bein so perfect!

I've recently upgraded to Vista (from Sony express upgrade DVDs) and I cannot find "stereo-mix" recording device in the audio panel (with XP was OK) even if I show all recording devices (disabled and deactivated). The only source I can see is the microphone.
I've tried also to install the latest realtek high definition drivers (R.1.67) from realtek site but nothing changed.

I've contacted also the Realtek support that replies to me:

"I'm sorry . This is Sony requirement to turn off "Stereo Mix" item . Our HD Audio driver has supported "Stereo Mix" for recording ( Except ALC861 and ALC660 ) . Because Sony need to turn off it , so we do it . There are many more customization programming for many more machine . Your computer do not support it by Sony requirement . This is not our driver issue . Please try to contact Sony to confirm it ."

Can anyone confirm me that all Sony notebooks with Vista doesn't have a "stereo-mix" device?
I cannot understand such a strange requirement from Sony.

Any help will be very appreciated. I bought this notebook to record my singing performances (I'm studing to be a crooner )
Bye
Nick

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nick,

I can confirm that on my machine (Vista pre-installed) the only sound recording device is microphone.

I have no idea why this is the case but would suspect that there is a conflict between stereo-mix and other another Sony driver. I think your best bet is to open a case with support and ask why it is disabled.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Nickblaster
Visitor

Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm a musician and I can't live without my stereo-mix device!
I'm going right now to the nearest Vaio shop to verify on each exposed notebook 🙂

I hope an external USB sound-card can solve the problem. Otherwise I think I will create a new XP partition, 'cause with XP the recordings were ok.

Anyway I've opened a e-support case and I'm waiting for an anwer.

Nickblaster
Visitor

As promised...I went to the nearest computers shop.

All the Vaio with Vista installed has no stereo-mix!!!
That's really incredible and make me very pissed off!!.
Realtek was right.

All the other brands notebooks, also with the Realtek soundcard, has the stereo-mix device (I've checked toshiba, acer and packard bell).

I'm really angry for this problem.
It seems that Vaio is the only PC on earth that can't do a simple ware recording.
My 8 years old Asus can.

markpriestley
Visitor

I'm really angry for this problem.

Angry? I'm apoplectic. I'm also a musician. All my gear was stolen. The insurance company could only provide me with a Vista VAIO as replacement to the same spec as my old machine (which worked fine with Vista and I was fairly happy (apart from only having two USB ports instead of four). Then... after accepting the machine and setting it up I discover that the sound card is disabled. It's outrageous and renders my computer completely useless for the main purposes I use it for. I have no money to replace it, I've spent hours upgrading every driver and option I can think of, and I'm really angry about it. What a complete waste of time and money! :devil: Is there any news on whether this situation might change?

Nickblaster
Visitor

With XP everything works fine.
I have created a new partition on the HD and now I can do a dual booting, so when I use my vaio to sing (and record) I boot on XP.
I finally think that it's the only solution.

markpriestley
Visitor

but that's a crazy solution, we all paid good money to upgrade to Vista and VAIO. Finding out that I can't control even the most basic functions for my audio recording was a huge shock (yes, I'm a musician too). Basically the machine is useless for my main purposes and every other manufacturer I have tested, since I discovered the problem, has control over the sound card enabled in Vista. I guess I made the wrong decision buying Sony! Let's hope there is a fix somewhere.

markpriestley
Visitor

Well, so it really is the case that Sony disabled the sound card. The response I received from my spport case being as follows:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dear Mr Priestley,

We just got a response from our head engineers.

The Stereo Mix is not available as a recording source on VAIO computers pre-installed with Windows Vista. This is by design as part of an intentional design by Windows Vista.

I am very sorry that we cannot help you any further with this request.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

now... I have to say that is not strictly true. My previous Vista pre-installed laptop (an Acer) worked absolutely fine, and every other make of Vista pre-installed latop I have now tested also has this functionality. It is indeed an intentional design in Vista to mask the sound card by creating it as a 'hidden' audio device in the sound control module but it is only Sony that has apparently disabled it completely, rendering most professional and hobby music prodcution sofware unusable.

It would be a great help if Sony could visibly advertise the fact that its Viao computers are not suitable for anyone using musical-composition/auid-production software. It may also be helpful for the musician community to spread this message as widely as possible. This would save a lot of trouble and allow potential customers to buy from other manufacturers rather than wasting their money. Unfortunately I'll have to cut my losses and go back to Acer.

If anyone wants to buy a nice shiny Vaio VGN-N31Z (brand new in August) then unfortunately I have to sell this one! :cry:

roblishm
New

This is driving me nuts too. (Just like they disabled the Windows Sidebar in favour of the Google one!) . After sending several hours trying to hunt down a "workaround" I found this ....

Has anyone tried the method they have been using over at Dell & LG?

(I haven't tried it yet but it MAY work - don't blame me if it makes things worse! )

They downloaded the XP Sigma Tel driver High Definition Audio Codec ... then ran the installation program in "Windows XP (servic Pack 2) mode"

If anyone is brave enough to try this and it works, please let us know ... :slight_smile:

Cheers

roblishm
New

:slight_frown: ... don't bother ... it doesn't work... I just tried it