Join now - be part of our community!

Stereo Mix device turned off on Vista+Vaio systems?

Nickblaster
Visitor

Stereo Mix device turned off on Vista+Vaio systems?

Hi and excuse my english for not bein so perfect!

I've recently upgraded to Vista (from Sony express upgrade DVDs) and I cannot find "stereo-mix" recording device in the audio panel (with XP was OK) even if I show all recording devices (disabled and deactivated). The only source I can see is the microphone.
I've tried also to install the latest realtek high definition drivers (R.1.67) from realtek site but nothing changed.

I've contacted also the Realtek support that replies to me:

"I'm sorry . This is Sony requirement to turn off "Stereo Mix" item . Our HD Audio driver has supported "Stereo Mix" for recording ( Except ALC861 and ALC660 ) . Because Sony need to turn off it , so we do it . There are many more customization programming for many more machine . Your computer do not support it by Sony requirement . This is not our driver issue . Please try to contact Sony to confirm it ."

Can anyone confirm me that all Sony notebooks with Vista doesn't have a "stereo-mix" device?
I cannot understand such a strange requirement from Sony.

Any help will be very appreciated. I bought this notebook to record my singing performances (I'm studing to be a crooner )
Bye
Nick

27 REPLIES 27
roblishm
New

If you bought your machine within the UK ... under the Sale of Goods Act (ammended) 1979, they must be "fit for purpose".

If you were sold your machine and NOT told that this normal function of Windows Vista (which does exist on other manufacturers OEM versions of Vista) had been disabled by Sony, then you have a legal recourse to the RETAILER that you bought the machine from (not Sony) to a refund.

You have no case against Sony because you have no contract with them.

However, you have a valid case against the retailer.

I strongly recommend that you ask the retailer for a refund.

If the retailer refuses, then ring the Trading Standards Authority.

They will fight your case for you at no cost to you whatsoever.

VINEEVAIO
Visitor

UPDATE: with reference to my original post on 17-Mar-2009 13:50:21

I have an update which should be of interest to many irritated, frustrated and despairing Sony VAIO owners. If you haven't already asked for a refund then there is light again at the end of the tunnel.

1. The good news is that it is possible to get Stereo-Mix working on a modern Sony VAIO laptop. :party:

2. The bad news is that this cannot be done under Windows Vista in the usual way using drivers. :zipper_mouth:

So far, I have personally managed to recover the use of my soundcard under both Windows XP and Windows Vista using two different methods, which I have tried and tested extensively. I also tried a third method, Virtual Audio Cable, which I do not recommend because it is not recognised by any of my audio software, making it expensive and useless for non-trivial work. (At some stage I intend to test the soundcard under a Linux operating system. If there is popular interest I will post an update for that as well.)

SOLUTIONS (after almost a year of testing and experience😞 :cool:

1. If you absolutely must use Windows Vista then it is possible to recover the functionality of the Stereo-Mix using the stereo microphone input jack socket. This solution is quick, inexpensive and does not require any software modifications. I have recorded Stereo-Mix audio, also known as "What-You-Hear" sound in the same way for many months without problems. The only inconvenience is that the signal recorded is sampled by an A/D converter, which means that if you listen to a recording very closely you might hear a gentle hiss. This can easily be filtered out by most audio software if it is apparent.

2. If you need absolute purity and digital perfection then my other solution is a return to Windows XP (with Service Pack 3). Over time I managed to find all the drivers, even those for the special function buttons and a way of controlling the brightness of the LCD (which has continued to puzzle many). While this method takes some time, patience and attention to detail, it can be achieved in an afternoon, and all you need to do is follow a few steps. You will need your Windows XP disc handy, but you can still keep your Windows Vista installation if you want to.

As it stands, I can now boot to either operating system, but I always use XP (I have not deleted Vista yet because the warranty period is not up and I like the idea of having two operating systems to select from when my computer is booting up).

I have posted a comprehensive tutorial for both methods under the Links section at http://www.vinee.net

:smileycoffee: [Note: I am uploading the info as we speak, so please be patient. Good luck!]

profile.country.en_GB.title
ravbambh
Visitor

I have the same problem too. I have a VGNFZ11Z with Vista preinstalled. I cannot record any live internet radio streams whatsoever. The only thing I can record is mic input (I.e my voice and any other noise).

When I right-click on the small speaker in the bottom of the task tray, and click recording devices, the only recording device visable is the mic even though 'show disabled devices' and 'show disconnected devices' are checked.

Thanks for all the previous posts on this and the people that have investigated into why this is the case.

I am AGAIN disappointed with Sony Vaio and will NOT be ever buying a VAIO again! Maybe its time to move on to Apple Mac's in the near future.

Cheers

euryalus
Visitor

The same problem is alive and kicking with Windows 7. I am about to send the local Sony Centre with a final notice regrading misrepresention of the lack of stereo mix or any other recording option. I am appealing to other users who have their stereo mix "unavailable" (read disabled) to contact me via e-mail. I intend to take this to the small claims court and who knows I might win, but I need your input and information. email is sjp.linux@googlemail.com

roblishm
New

..... but I need your input and information. email is sjp.linux@googlemail.com

Make a printout of this thread ... you have all the info that is here ... and I recently threatened Small Claims using Internet Printouts and links and the Plaintif folded like a pack of cards!

Make sure you have www links to confirm that this is disabled by instructions from Sony ... especially links from Sony's own websites (including this forum).

euryalus
Visitor

Received and understood. Thanks :slight_smile:

profile.country.fi_FI.title
tumkyne61
Visitor

I've solved the issue of recording windows 7 sounds. Prolly works for vista as well.

Took me hours and hours of searching and frustration. I can't understand why the stereo mix option is disabled in the first place, just plain stupid. I need to record the stereo mix output for game production and can't really work without it. So with this new fine Sony Vaio F-series, i was almost in tears when I found out the option is not there.

The solution:

A program called Virtual Audio Cable. Download, and install. Then simply set the default playback device as the cable thingie and the default recording device as line1 cable thingie (both are created by the VAC). This will enable you to record system sounds with audacity for example. At this point you cannot hear sounds from the speakers - you will have to set up audio repeater program that comes along with vac to hear the sounds from the speakers as well (with around 1s lag). Read the vac manual also when installing and setting up.

When you're finished working you can set the default playback device to speakers and everything will be back to normal. :slight_smile:

I had a problem installing vac on a vaio laptop.. The driver files are not digitally signed for windows. I had to disable driver sign verification by pressing f8 while starting windows and selecting the option to disable digital sign checking.

Hope this will work for you.

And Sony, I have officially started to boycott your products for not having this essential feature available.

profile.country.en_GB.title
stereomix
Visitor

Stereo Mix - Solved for Sony Vaio VGN-TT with Realtek HD Audio

My setup:

Vaio VGN-TT laptop

ALC889 codec chip

Windows 7 64 bit

After chasing down the numerous suggestions on the web with no luck, it came down to this:

No Realtek HD Audio Vista driver version from v 1.93 up to the present (v 2.70) would expose either the Stereo Mix device or the Realtek Audio Manager applet on my laptop.

But Bingo! v 1.85 (~ early 2008) does set up Stereo Mix, as do earlier versions for Vista.

They are available in the drivers.softpedia.com archives.

My guess for what happened is sometime in 2008 with v 1.93 or so Realtek started to respect requests from Sony, maybe Dell, maybe others, not to expose the loopback 'Stereo Mix' device. So more recent software looks to see whether it's running on a Sony/Dell machine, and if so does not expose Stereo Mix and does not allow the Manager cpl applet to run.