Join now - be part of our community!

Stripes on the screen Sony Vaio VGN-NR38S

profile.country.en_GB.title
thepigeon
Visitor

Stripes on the screen Sony Vaio VGN-NR38S

When I turn my laptop on I have stripes all down the Vaio loding page, then a really messed up windows screen.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/pipechat/EP240333.jpg

From looking around online seems lots of people have had the same problem with Nvida 8400 GPU. Is there a fix?

checked on an external monitor, and get the same results, so guess it can be the LCD and that only leave the GPU?

(Cant find my recipt right now, but think its out of warrenty anyway :smileysad:)

On a brighter note, I just had a really good bowl of chicken noodle soup, so life is not all bad!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_IE.title
kevincoolfox
Visitor

I have two vertical stipes down the screen of my VGN-AR31E. On looking up Vaio support it appears there is a fault with the graphics chip on certain Vaio models. The website stated that Sony would fix the problem free of charge if it turned out that this was the cause of the problem. On telephoning Vaio support and quoting my serial number the support person said that my model was in the range of models which could be affected by this model. The support person asked me to carry out a few operations on my Viao and after this she confirmed that my laptop was affected by this problem.

I forwarded my Viao on to Sony to carry out the repairs. They contacted me soon afterwards and told me that the problem was not a graphics chip problem but that the screen had malfunctioned. They quoted me a price of approximately £600 for a new screen (my Vaio is out of warranty) I opted not to go for this  option as my Vaio is in excess of three years old. I found this disappointing as I consider this to be a high end product and felt I should get a least in excess of 4 years of operation.

As this was not the graphics chip problem I was also liable for a £60 approx inspection fee.

When researching purchasing a new laptop I discussed my problem with a sales technician who said that the problem sounded like a graphics chip problem.