Join now - be part of our community!

SVT1313L1ES - hard drive failed

SOLVED
AlexG82
New

SVT1313L1ES - hard drive failed

Hi,

My laptop had been successfully upgraded to Windows 10 when it was dropped and the hard drive failed.  After numerous methods to recover it were unsuccesful I have conceded and purchased a new replacement internal drive. 

My question is what should I do now to get it back up and running as before?  I did make a recovery USB for windows 8.1 before upgrading to windows 10 but this did not work on the failed hard drive.  Can this recovery media be used to install again from scratch on the new drive?  Or should I download new recovery media using the windows tool (and if I do that should I use 8/8.1/10?)?

Appreciate any assistance and guidance.

Many thanks,

Alex  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex and welcome.

You should recover your Vaio to 8.1 using the recovery media you created  then upgrade to 10 using the download available on the Support page for your model here:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/SVT1313L1E/list#os1

To run the recovery to Windows 8.1:-

1 .Insert the recovery USB into a USB2 slot (recovery is not compatible with USB3)

2. Shut Down the Vaio

3. With the Vaio OFF, press the ASSIST button

4. Vaio Care Rescue Mode should load. Select "Start from Media (USB Device/Optical Disc"

5. Follow the on-screen instructions

6. When you get to "Choose an Option", select 'Troubleshoot/Recovery/Maintenance'

7. Select Recovery -> Start Recovery Wizard

Recovery may take some time!!! Let it run for as long as it takes.

Good Luck.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex and welcome.

You should recover your Vaio to 8.1 using the recovery media you created  then upgrade to 10 using the download available on the Support page for your model here:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/SVT1313L1E/list#os1

To run the recovery to Windows 8.1:-

1 .Insert the recovery USB into a USB2 slot (recovery is not compatible with USB3)

2. Shut Down the Vaio

3. With the Vaio OFF, press the ASSIST button

4. Vaio Care Rescue Mode should load. Select "Start from Media (USB Device/Optical Disc"

5. Follow the on-screen instructions

6. When you get to "Choose an Option", select 'Troubleshoot/Recovery/Maintenance'

7. Select Recovery -> Start Recovery Wizard

Recovery may take some time!!! Let it run for as long as it takes.

Good Luck.

:wink:

AlexG82
New

Thanks for your reply Blencogo.  I actually took the plunge and went ahead with the recovery USB before your reply.  Turns out it was for Windows 8 not 8.1 and it worked on the USD 3.0 port.  It installed fine, did all the updates and eventually installed windows 8.1.  I don't see an icon for Windows 10 update so I'm waiting to ensure i have all the updates before I use the Microsoft update tool.