Join now - be part of our community!

To everyone who wants a RAM upgrade: DON'T BELIEVE THE LIMIT IN YOUR MANUAL!

KingGeorge
Visitor

To everyone who wants a RAM upgrade: DON'T BELIEVE THE LIMIT IN YOUR MANUAL!

Hello,

just to shout out: do not believe the manual if you're looking for the maximum amount of memory you can install in your vaio laptop.

I've recently bought a 2GB RAM module, which would be the maximum amount.
According to my manual (and sony's web site AND the info they give to others, like crucial.com) i didn't have dual channel RAM support either.

I have now tried to install 3GB of RAM, just for the fun of it.
Now guess what. 3GB is recognized and used without any problem,
AND dual channel is enabled. I could have perfectly installed dualchannel 4GB for **** sake.

So, if you want real information, check these things in everest software before you buy.
How can they show less good specs than what you actually bought?!?
Sony probable put 2GB as the RAM limit because 3GB and more is not usable in XP.
Damn the man who decided this!

Greetz
KG

11 REPLIES 11
littlebucko
Visitor

the reason sony says 2gb max is because that will give it better performance without damaging it (they will only test so much ram in a laptop/computer)

profile.country.en_GB.title
phoenix3123
New

hi, i want to upgrade my VGN-N11S/W TO 2GB. HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME? AND HOW TO I DO THAT AND MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS VISTA HOME PREMIUM. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

tonybeard
Explorer

go to crucial http://crucial.com/uk/

helloimgeoff1
Visitor

Sony probable put 2GB as the RAM limit because 3GB and more is not usable in XP.

4GB is the limit in a 32bit OS, which is what, as far as I know, all VAIO's come with. If you want to utalize more than 4GB then you need a 64bit OS.
You can have a PC working with 3.5gb of ram and 0.5gb of graphics on a 32bit os, but anything more then it'll start not using modules / cards.

At the moment I got 4 * 1gb modules in my desktop and a 512 card, and I get 3gb of ram, 3 modules in use, and my graphics card as I'm running a 32bit OS, just waiting for SP1 of Vista so that there are hopefully more drivers out for me to use with my desktop on 64bit.

kee-lo_

Sorry but I think this is an irresponsible post, fair enough, sometimes Sony's recommendations are wrong; but if people read this and do something silly like put 3GB when the limit is 1.5GB, their PCs heat up to a silly temperature and they wreck their VAIO, who's going to cover it? No one, and that's not what I'm querying, as it's fair enough, Sony told you not to do it yet you ignored them. The thing I'm querying is Sony allowing this post, which could, in theory, lead to a lot of hassle for them from people who are not reading the terms of sale and conditions.

Fair enough, do it responsibly, follow Tony Beard's link to Crucial, but don't go overboard.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Yes please be aware that following advice from fellow Club Vaio members is done at your own risk.. :wink:

kee-lo_

Excellent advice Thalamus, glad someone's on the ball :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Excellent advice Thalamus, glad someone's on the ball  :smileygrin:

Thanks Kee-Lo

Scouser1968
Visitor

Well im with George, if it works for him.. Let me know if your laptop explodes George!

I had similar thing with my first vaio lappy, it came with 20Gb Hd and said max upgrade was 40Gb, that was when sony finally got around to giving any kind of info on the laptop at all! I managed to upgrade to 80Gb drive and it ran happily ever after... In fact still is..