Join now - be part of our community!

To everyone who wants a RAM upgrade: DON'T BELIEVE THE LIMIT IN YOUR MANUAL!

KingGeorge
Visitor

To everyone who wants a RAM upgrade: DON'T BELIEVE THE LIMIT IN YOUR MANUAL!

Hello,

just to shout out: do not believe the manual if you're looking for the maximum amount of memory you can install in your vaio laptop.

I've recently bought a 2GB RAM module, which would be the maximum amount.
According to my manual (and sony's web site AND the info they give to others, like crucial.com) i didn't have dual channel RAM support either.

I have now tried to install 3GB of RAM, just for the fun of it.
Now guess what. 3GB is recognized and used without any problem,
AND dual channel is enabled. I could have perfectly installed dualchannel 4GB for **** sake.

So, if you want real information, check these things in everest software before you buy.
How can they show less good specs than what you actually bought?!?
Sony probable put 2GB as the RAM limit because 3GB and more is not usable in XP.
Damn the man who decided this!

Greetz
KG

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Well im with George, if it works for him.. Let me know if your laptop explodes George! 

I had similar thing with my first vaio lappy, it came with 20Gb Hd and said max upgrade was 40Gb, that was when sony finally got around to giving any kind of info on the laptop at all! I managed to upgrade to 80Gb drive and it ran happily ever after... In fact still is..

The choice and risk is yours to make.. :wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
@5528097000005097
Visitor

I upgraded my laptop with 2 x 1Gb RAM modules from Crucial, this is the maximum recommended by Sony and the computer runs noticeably smoother.
I wouldn't risk adding more RAM than this, can't see the point and the Pentium M processor probably wouldn't be able to make use of yet more instant memory anyway.
If you're maxing out 2Gig of RAM, even with Vista, you've got too many apps running on your system, time to do some purging!