Join now - be part of our community!

unmountable_boot_volume

profile.country.fi_FI.title
tuomas
Visitor

unmountable_boot_volume

Hi,

I have two months old S-series Vaio and now all of the sudden my computer will not start. I get windows blue screen to show error code:

unmountable_boot_volume

Picture attached.

After the blue screen, windows restarts and suggest to start startup repair. Startup repair is trying to fix something for few hours. I waitid three-four hours and stopped.

If I try to start computer in safe mode, (F8 when bios starts) I get blue screen again and it starts all over again.

Could someone help?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like some data has become corrupted on your hard drive.  This could be due to bad sectors caused by a bump.

As you do not have a Windows 7 Installation Disc, try the following: -

Download the Microsoft Windows 7 Recovery Disc from here (choose 32 or 64-bit) : -

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

1. As this is a torrent file, you will have to Download and run µTorrent as per the instructions and burn the iso to a disc.  Boot the Vaio with the disc inserted.

2. Choose the Command Prompt option from the system menu.

3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.
4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit  Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted.  When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.
5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

If no luck, please take a note of all error messages and we will try again.  It may be necessary to carry out a complete recovery of your Vaio back to factory settings.  If that fails then it will be off to Sony for a repair.

:neutral:

profile.country.fi_FI.title
tuomas
Visitor

Thank you!

I created windows 7 recovery disc and booted my computer with it. For some reason chkdsk /p did not work (unrecognised option /p, why?). But I started startup repair from recovery disc and after some time it made some fixes. I rebooted computer and it went fine.

After windows got up I defragmented disk, ran some performance tests etc. and checked volume errors before next startup. Some volume errors were fixed during startup and now it looks like everything is fine. Let's see.

But thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Tuomas

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Excellent result!

For anyone else using this thread, please ignore the Command Prompt actions above and simply use the Startup Repair.  The Switch /P does not appear to work with Windows 7.

:slight_smile: