Join now - be part of our community!

upgrade W7 to W10

SOLVED
dumb-user
Explorer

upgrade W7 to W10

Hi,

I have a VGN-NW24S with W7 Home Premium. The Sony W10 Upgrade page doesn't seem to be much help in deciding whether it's OK to try the upgrade - Windows says it's compatible with W10. Anyone tried W7 to W10 with this particular model - successful?/problems?

Dumb-user    

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

That is an oldish machine? It ran from later XP era to Windows 7.

I have upgraded several machines from XP/7/8 to W10 and all are successful. There are minor complications with a Sony Laptop (keyboard backlight control for example) but I would guess your chances at 90% or better.

There is only 1 possible option (IMO). Back up your W7 installation now using Macrium Reflect (free) or Acronis True Image (not free). Learn how to use it and how to restore the image. Then.....make a seperate backup (on a usb stick) of all of your W7 drivers using free software Double Driver. These 2 back ups are your get out of jail card.

Now you can fresh install W10 (you may need the W7 key from the sticker on the base of your Laptop). IMO fresh install is essential. Every install "over the top" I have tried has had problems. Windows will do a surprisingly great job finding a W10 driver for all of your devices. Lets imagine that one or two drivers are "missing" in Device Manager.....or that the video driver found by Windows is playing up. Select update driver and point Device Manager at your Double Driver backup file. W10 will accept your old W7 driver. (That has been my experience)

I would not worry about the Sony Bloatware. All that you really need is Vaio Control Centre to control a keyboard backlight (if your model has one) and to disable your track pad (if you so choose). Installing Vaio Control Centre can be a pain and if you have any problems I suggest you raise a seperate thread. Somebody will respond. Possibly me.

And if the W10 install goes pear shaped? You have your backed up W7 installation.  :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

dumb-user
Explorer

Thanks Spendwell, clear comprehensive reply - I'd got much the same from the W7 forum - but I'm coming round to the view that it's probably not worth the effort and risk of problems in upgrading - W7 does what I need to do and it's likely either my laptop (bought early 2010) or I will peg out before W7 support ceases! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

That is an oldish machine? It ran from later XP era to Windows 7.

I have upgraded several machines from XP/7/8 to W10 and all are successful. There are minor complications with a Sony Laptop (keyboard backlight control for example) but I would guess your chances at 90% or better.

There is only 1 possible option (IMO). Back up your W7 installation now using Macrium Reflect (free) or Acronis True Image (not free). Learn how to use it and how to restore the image. Then.....make a seperate backup (on a usb stick) of all of your W7 drivers using free software Double Driver. These 2 back ups are your get out of jail card.

Now you can fresh install W10 (you may need the W7 key from the sticker on the base of your Laptop). IMO fresh install is essential. Every install "over the top" I have tried has had problems. Windows will do a surprisingly great job finding a W10 driver for all of your devices. Lets imagine that one or two drivers are "missing" in Device Manager.....or that the video driver found by Windows is playing up. Select update driver and point Device Manager at your Double Driver backup file. W10 will accept your old W7 driver. (That has been my experience)

I would not worry about the Sony Bloatware. All that you really need is Vaio Control Centre to control a keyboard backlight (if your model has one) and to disable your track pad (if you so choose). Installing Vaio Control Centre can be a pain and if you have any problems I suggest you raise a seperate thread. Somebody will respond. Possibly me.

And if the W10 install goes pear shaped? You have your backed up W7 installation.  :slight_smile:

dumb-user
Explorer

Thanks Spendwell, clear comprehensive reply - I'd got much the same from the W7 forum - but I'm coming round to the view that it's probably not worth the effort and risk of problems in upgrading - W7 does what I need to do and it's likely either my laptop (bought early 2010) or I will peg out before W7 support ceases!