Join now - be part of our community!

Upgraded a (relatively) old laptop to 7

X-Ter
Visitor

Upgraded a (relatively) old laptop to 7

So there seems to be no Windows 7 support for the VGN-C1S because its a bit old now. But Windows 7 seems to work perfectly yet using the function key I can't adjust the brightness, can't see what I'm changing the volume to (although the volume does change) nor can I scroll with the trackpad.

Are there going to be drivers available to solve these problems or is the laptop to old to be supported?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi X-Ter and welcome.

These are the usual failings of Vista drivers on Windows 7.

At present Sony seem to have released drivers for Vaios that qualify for the free Windows 7 Upgrade Kit only. We don't know how far back Sony will support in the future - I would hope all Vaios released with Vista installed will be supported at some time.

You may be able to find a Win7 Alps Pointing Device driver. I just Googled 'ALPS Windows 7 Touchpad Driver' and got several hits. Also some newer Vaios may use the Alps driver and have a Win7 available - I can't check for you because the support site is down (again).

:thinking:

X-Ter
Visitor

I've managed to make everything work (nearly). I just installed all the latest drivers that I found from this huge list:

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/vaio/original/

However, there are still a few problems. The function key which controls brightness displays the brightness control, but when I increase or decrease the brightness nothing happens. Also, lowering the volume to its lowest amount doesn't mute the volume, there is still some sound. Is this normal?