Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading sound/graphics in RZ422P

Apehanger
Visitor

Upgrading sound/graphics in RZ422P

Ive just bought a RZ422P but dont like the onboard sound.

I have a creative live soundcard and creative 5.1 inspire speakers from my old pc.

Can I upgrade the sound to the creative live card?

Also want to eventually upgrade graphics card to 9800 pro, is this possible with the 300w PSU?

Thanks in advance

33 REPLIES 33
chuckalicious
Visitor

Yes you can. I have done the same. Simply open up the case as described in your manual. ONce in simply plgu the sound card into a spare PCI slot and connect the CD rom drives to the card if you want to (although note the connectors may be different so you may need to find some other ones, however connecting them isn't essential.
Turn on the PC and install the drivers for the card.
Now you simply go into the device manager, go into the sound controller section and disable the old soundcard (on mine it was nVidia Audio Codecs). Windows should now use the SB card as the default card and it should work fine.

chuckalicious
Visitor

Sorry, in response to the video card, you may have difficulty as I think it really needs something higher than 300W. Check some of the older posts as this has come up a few times.

Apehanger
Visitor

thanks for the reply, whats the highest card that can be connected with the 300 w psu?

chuckalicious
Visitor

As far as I know, anything that doesn't require it's own power supply. So as far as know that means the lower Radeons or any nVidia card. I would imagnie the higher GeForce FX cards still need a lot of power, so it's best to check it out anyway.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The ATI 9800 Pro is right on the borderline when used with a 300W supply. The only way to find out if it will work is to try it :thinking:

chuckalicious
Visitor

Expensive experiment though. Whether it will work or not is related to how many new cards you have installed etc. Rob is right though, trying it's the only sure way, but be warned, it may not work

kee-lo_

Yep I have to agree with Chuckalicious.... expensive but nice card. If you have the cash get one, you'll have a good 2004 gaming...

Apehanger
Visitor

thanks,

with reference to the sound card issue, wont i have to go into the bios setup and disable the onbaord sound?????

kee-lo_

Yep.