Join now - be part of our community!

USB 3.0 hungs-up on Vaio VPCF21Z

profile.country.fr_FR.title
User3D
Visitor

USB 3.0 hungs-up on Vaio VPCF21Z

Hi,

On My Vaio the port USB 3.0 hangs up during the transfer of big files (toward an USB 3.0 2,3" HDD or during the video capture). This problem I have from the very begining and it lasts since April 24th without any valuable answer. Here is the story:

On April 15th I ordered a new Vaio VPCF21Z (i7-2630QM, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 3D, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 Family Premium) value 2000€ and I expected to get a high end laptop. Since beginning I have had a lot of issues with USB 3.0 ports, not solved till now. Hereafter the description of the issues I face:

• - April 24th I bought an external HHH: IIFREECOM 2,5", 1Tb, USB 3.0. I tried to copy the files bigger than 600 Mb with total size bigger than 12 Gb. The USB port hanged-up and the transfer never ended. Several tests done, each with different results:
    • copy OK (not that frequent)
    • system error 0x80070079
    • USB 3.0 hanged-up and no activity possible with any HDD (impossible to end Spider Solitaire game when asked to write-down the party on the disc, impossible to start-up Outlook, impossible to shut-down the system, impossible to kill the copy -> the only way to get the hand on the disk activity is to plug-out the USB 3.0 cable)

Also I have the following issues on USB 3.0 ports (all with the devices which required the power supply from USB ports which work fine when connected to USB 2.0):

• video capture with Pinnacle 510 fails (no more video part after several minutes of capture)
  • USB 3.0 disk connected but without any activity: the disk reconnects several times per hour
  • Elgato's eyetv (tuner) fails after several minutes
  • it seems to me that some clicks of Microsoft Optical Mouse 4000 are lots

When I connected on the USB 3.0 port WD HDD 3 TB, USB 3.0 3,5" with independent power supply, the tests did with 56,7 Gb were OK. Before sending Vaio to Support Centre I tried to do the back up of 3"5 Gb of my data I put on HDD of Vaio. The back-up failed after 95 Gb - the USB 3.0 port hanged up. After that I started the back up a second time and it was OK for remaining 245 Gb. I do not perform a series of test with WD HDD but I noticed that time to time the port USB 3.0 hangs but (quite rear comparing to 2,5" disk, where this happens almost every time I try to transfer big files). I haven't noticed the issue when transferring a big number of pictures....

• I looked for help on different forums with no results, thus I opened the hot-line ticket n° 5541007
  • I made different operations requested by hot-line team without any successful results (I suspended this for about one month as I was out of home)
  • Finally on July the 1st I sent the Vaio to the support centre

• Vaio returned on July 11th (replacement of 2 pieces and BIOS upgrade). From this point in time all the test I did by the next were done with 16 files of 56,7 Gb in total. After only booting the system the first time I did the test and it was OK. I believed that my problems are over. Then I passed the hours on updating Windows, Vaio and installing some software (Roxio Creator 2011 pro, French Dictionary - Petit Robert, Microsoft Office 2007) and I did the test once again - it failed (port hanged-up - since Vaio returned I have no longer 0x80070079 error)

• My guess was that the test failed because of one of installed software, thus I installed the system from the very beginning (using ASSIST button) - I did the test several times but it was continuing to fail
  • I wrote an e-mail to Mr Mizuno, head of Europe support. I've got a reply that I will be contacted by one of his representatives. In the mean time I called the hot-line who wanted me to reinstall the system and then to return the Vaio to the support centre.....

• I was contacted by representative of Mr Mizuno, who asked me to disable the auto tuning level of TCP stack. I did that and the tests were successful. I did even the tests with 125 Gb of files and the copy was successful however the speed fails down to 35 Mb/s (with USB 2.0 the speed of transfer the same files was about 30 Mb/s). I was happy and we cancelled the returning of Vaio to Support centre

• I installed a big part of my software (a day of work) and I described the solution Sony brought to me to Freecom support. They asked me for details thus I wanted to send them some screen shots. I did the test once again and it failed ..... The port hangs up. When you look on disc activity the number of E/S is almost null and the  disk activity is 100%

• thus I wrote again to Mr Mizuno and I've got the same answer as the first time I wrote to him (automatic one?). I’m now waiting to be contacted by Sony

Till now I spend 2000€ on purchasing Vaio, over 2 weeks of my free time testing and discussing with hot-line and Vaio support and still I cannot enjoy my new PC managing my pictures and videos.

Any help or advice will be welcomed

Vaio3D

PS.

There is a thread decribing this story in French, which I opened on April 24th but unluckily without any helpful answer

Message was edited by: vaio3d

Message was edited by: vaio3d

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thank you for updating everybody.  I'm sure we, your fellow users, are very interested in the outcome but I think it unlikely that we can help you with this problem.

As you are already discussing the problem with Vaio Support direct, I think that any answer to such a complex issue regarding new hardware will have to come from them.

I would be grateful if you would keep us up-to-date with your progress on this topic.

Good Luck.

:thinking: