Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN-FZ21M Graphics Driver Problems

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jamie2fingers
Visitor

VAIO VGN-FZ21M Graphics Driver Problems

Hi All,

First post on this board so am looking forward to some help!

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21M and have had no problems that I couldn't solve until now! I run Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.

I often use the HDMI out to connect to my Bravia TV but a couple of months ago when I plugged it in I got the BSOD (Blue screen of Death) and it referred to the nVidia graphics driver file.

I rebooted and got the same BSOD after a long booting time.

I then booted into safe mode and un-installed the driver and used the standard VGA driver which works fine but means I have lower res and no output functionality through the HDMI out.

I then tried, both in safe mode and not, installing the drivers again. I have tried the ones from my recovery discs, ones from nVidia and ones from the Sony website but all lead to the BSOD.

I am now at my wits end as it is not often I come up against a problem that I cannot fix (with PCs/Laptops) and need to ask for the wisdom and experience of one of you lovely people!

Thanks in advance, please please please help me!!!!

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

It has just struck me that the FZ21M is one of the Vaio models that Sony acknowledges may be affected by a faulty NVIDIA graphics chip.

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=53420&l=en_GB&m=VGN-...

It may be worth contacting Support...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
jamie2fingers
Visitor

Forgot to mention, it's the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT 256MB

CFC_CJS
Visitor

Get rid of the SP2

sorry, my mistake... i thought you said that you installed the SP2 afterwards... forget what i said.

Message was edited by: CFC_CJS

Message was edited by: CFC_CJS

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

Assuming that there is no hardware problem then possibly the BSOD results from the original corrupt driver not being removed completely. Try a Google for ‘completely remove nVidia drivers’. I have no firsthand experience of this but I know that there is a utility out there called Driver Sweeper – at your own risk of course.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamie2fingers
Visitor

Hi,

You are correct, SP2 was installed ages before this problem occured.

Regarding other solutions, I have tried various methods over the last few hours and numerous reboots to assure the nVidia drivers are completely gone but no success, still BSOD.

Any more suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,

Jamie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

As you seem to have eliminated the nVidia driver as the problem have you tried to eliminate other drivers that may possibly be causing a conflict at startup?

With the nVidia driver installed boot into safe mode, type msconfig in the search field, select this and click on the Startup tab. Disable all but the nVidia display driver and reboot normally. If you then still get a BSOD then you will have eliminated other drivers as the cause.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamie2fingers
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I have tried your suggestion and the still problem still occurs so it would seem that it is not another driver causing the issue.

TIA

Jamie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

Can you try uninstalling the graphics adaptor in Device Manager and re-boot in safe mode? Hopefully the device will reinstall. Shut down and try a normal boot.

If this fails to resolve the problem then I will escalate to Vaio Support in the hope that they may be able to help further. They may of course suggest a system restore to factory settings which would have been my next suggestion.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamie2fingers
Visitor

Hi,

I have tried your mentioned suggestion and still end up with the same result.

The later suggestion is something I want to try and avoid having to do.

Thanks,

Jamie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

I have escalated this question but as we are now in the weekend I doubt that there will be any response until next week some time.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat