Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN-FZ21M Graphics Driver Problems

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jamie2fingers
Visitor

VAIO VGN-FZ21M Graphics Driver Problems

Hi All,

First post on this board so am looking forward to some help!

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21M and have had no problems that I couldn't solve until now! I run Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2.

I often use the HDMI out to connect to my Bravia TV but a couple of months ago when I plugged it in I got the BSOD (Blue screen of Death) and it referred to the nVidia graphics driver file.

I rebooted and got the same BSOD after a long booting time.

I then booted into safe mode and un-installed the driver and used the standard VGA driver which works fine but means I have lower res and no output functionality through the HDMI out.

I then tried, both in safe mode and not, installing the drivers again. I have tried the ones from my recovery discs, ones from nVidia and ones from the Sony website but all lead to the BSOD.

I am now at my wits end as it is not often I come up against a problem that I cannot fix (with PCs/Laptops) and need to ask for the wisdom and experience of one of you lovely people!

Thanks in advance, please please please help me!!!!

Jamie

14 REPLIES 14
jamie2fingers
Visitor

Thanks,

I look forward to your response.

Jamie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

I will let you know if I receive any response from Support.

You may be interested in this similar thread.

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/687733#687733

Different model but same graphics chip.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

It has just struck me that the FZ21M is one of the Vaio models that Sony acknowledges may be affected by a faulty NVIDIA graphics chip.

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=53420&l=en_GB&m=VGN-...

It may be worth contacting Support...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamie2fingers
Visitor

Hi,

Whats the best way to contact support that won't cost me a fortune in 0845 and 0870 calls?

Thanks,

Jamie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jamie,

I have sent you a PM.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat