Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN FZ38M doesn't start anymore

SOLVED
profile.country.de_DE.title
razvim1977
Visitor

Vaio VGN FZ38M doesn't start anymore

Hi

I have a 3 years old Vaio VGN FZ38M and suddenly it's not working anymore.

The only thing it does are 3 peeps (first longer, the other two shorter) and then nothing.

Hard disk and Cooler are working.

I have removed the RAM's and replace them but nothing changed.

Could it be the BIOS Battery?

Thank you in advance for advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi razvim1977,

One long and two short beeps is indicative of a graphics problem. Have you tried plugging in an external monitor?

The VGN FZ38M is one of the models that Sony has acknowledged is effected by failure of the nVidia graphics processor and will repair this defect free of charge up to four years from purchase. Have a look here for further details:

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=53420&l=en_GB&m=VGN-...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi razvim1977,

One long and two short beeps is indicative of a graphics problem. Have you tried plugging in an external monitor?

The VGN FZ38M is one of the models that Sony has acknowledged is effected by failure of the nVidia graphics processor and will repair this defect free of charge up to four years from purchase. Have a look here for further details:

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=53420&l=en_GB&m=VGN-...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.de_DE.title
razvim1977
Visitor

Hi Rich912

Thank's a lot for your answer.

This is a very useful information.

In the meantime I've spoken with someone from Sony and they advice me to check the RAM memory and to clean the contacts, as this might be also an issue.

So now I have two possible reasons for my problem.

I'll check the RAM first as this is easier and can be done by myself.

For sure I will write as soon as I have a result

Thank you again

razvim1977

profile.country.DE.title
razmacav
New

Hi again

the problem was solved. It was endeed the graphic card and it was replaced by sony free of charge.

I have to say that I am very very pleased how sony solved the problem.

They have sent me the box to pack the laptop , they have arranged everything and in 4 days I recived the laptop repaired.

Super service by Sony

Regards

razvim1977

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi razvim,

Pleased to hear that your notebook has been repaired. Also good to know that you are pleased with the service received from Sony support :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.nl_NL.title
limazulu
Visitor

Hi,

Nice for you to have pc repaired free of charge.

But we are not that lucky. Our Viao VGN-FZ38M is 4 year and one month old, and has got the same issue as you have described. So, don't think our Viao could receive the same treatment as yours.

You can image that I tend to complain.

Just wondering why we are not informed about such important problems by Sony in the first place. As we consumers are expected to register our purchase at Sony. We did that, for all our Sony products. But we actually never receive any information/notice afterward. So, what is the point of registrations?

profile.country.nl_NL.title
limazulu
Visitor

Have received phone call from Sony today: my Vaio could be repaired by replacement of mother board (video set integrated on it), but we have to pay for it - 20 % at least. And the mother board replacement itself would cost Euro 499.-. That makes our payment for the repair be Euro 100.-, if we agree to.

We think it is too much. Consider this laptop had actually became a destop due to the battery failed to be charged a long time ago. The keys turned to be very weak - became losen with ease. And it generate a lot heat and there fore more noice by the fan.

Afteral, our Vaio got into problem just after the 4 year term. And exactly 4 year and one month, I found report of this issue here.

My suggestion to trade this one in for a new one, was turned down.

Bad luck for us? Well, I guess it is also bad luck for Sony.

We won't buy another Sony (computer) for sure, after our experience. ;-|