Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VPC EB3JIE processor upgrade.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
elainetj
Visitor

Vaio VPC EB3JIE processor upgrade.

Hi, can anyone tell me whether it is possible and practical to change the i3 processor to perhaps i5 or i7, in a Vaio VPC EB3JIE. I bought the laptop a year ago and it has never been used, just turned on to see what Windows 7 is like. The person for who the laptop was bought had actually found a laptop of his own and this Vaio has stayed in the box ever since, [last May 2011]. We would like to give it more processing power if possible and fit a quicker CPU and extra memory, but is it possible to change the CPU, or would we be better trying to sell the laptop and just buy an i7 machine ? Any information would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi elainetj,

Most things are possible but, generally speaking, laptop computers are not designed to be upgraded.  The components in the system are balanced to a performance specification and if you decide to upgrade the processor, you will probably need to look at the graphics ..... the screen ...... the chipset ........ and so on.  It is not possible to upgrade some of these.

The VPCEB3J1E is designed as an efficient everyday laptop at a reasonable cost.  Adding an i5 processor for £150/£200 plus fitting or an i7 for £250/£280 plus fitting is an expensive option when you will still have Intel HD Graphics and a 1366 X 768 resolution screen.

I would max out the memory to 8GB and see if the Vaio works for you and is fast enough for your normal use without paying out too much.  Then decide what to do.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi elainetj,

Most things are possible but, generally speaking, laptop computers are not designed to be upgraded.  The components in the system are balanced to a performance specification and if you decide to upgrade the processor, you will probably need to look at the graphics ..... the screen ...... the chipset ........ and so on.  It is not possible to upgrade some of these.

The VPCEB3J1E is designed as an efficient everyday laptop at a reasonable cost.  Adding an i5 processor for £150/£200 plus fitting or an i7 for £250/£280 plus fitting is an expensive option when you will still have Intel HD Graphics and a 1366 X 768 resolution screen.

I would max out the memory to 8GB and see if the Vaio works for you and is fast enough for your normal use without paying out too much.  Then decide what to do.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
elainetj
Visitor

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had the feeling this is probably the case. I tink that I will probably shell out for an i5 Viao or maybe [if the price is right] an i7. I like the Viao's and the only other laptop I might buy is a Toshiba, but have you ever seen how much they charge if you need a repair !!!!!!!! I have a 14 inch Satellite with  faulty screen, I think it may be an LED screen, it is not the very shiny reflective item,but there are a series of flickering lines on it from top to bottom and it needs replacing. I call ed Toshiba and they have quoted me £380 for the screen and around £35 for carriage. It appears from a few calls to repair companies that this screen can only be repaired by Toshiba. So I will probably buy another Sony as I have not had any trouble with a couple of Vaio's that I have owned.

Best regards, elainetj