Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR51M wireless/bluetooth switch problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
andmccou
Visitor

VGN-AR51M wireless/bluetooth switch problem

I recently by accident deleted two network adapters in device manager, rather than update the drivers when the yellow warning symbol showed against them, and despite installing all drivers etc. from the Vaio Support page for my model, I can no longer get my wireless/bluetooth switch to work.
Is there anything at all that I can do now to repair this, or am I resigned to connecting to the internet via ethernet?
Please help!!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi andymccourt,

a simple solution would be to do a system restore to a point before you deleted the network adapters from device manager..

Here's a guide should you need it: System restore

I'm guessing you have installed both the Network and wireless LAN drivers, have you re-installed the Wireless Switch Setting Utility, this can be found within the Original utilities package, which can be downloaded using the following link: AR51M utilities

andmccou
Visitor

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I've tried restoring to four separate restore points so far, but each time I do this, an error message appears after rebooting which states that an error has occurred and the problem remains.
I've also tried re-installing the wireless switch setting utility, but it says that a newer (well, it says newly!) version is already on my laptop and then aborts the installation.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Do you get the "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored" error message.?

If do you have Norton installed on your Vaio, if so use the following link to view a solution:Norton System restore solution.. :slight_smile:

andmccou
Visitor

I had disabled Norton as I 'd come across that thread earlier. The message I kept receiving after each restore was:

System Restore did not complete successfuly. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore.

You might want to try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions

Despite this message however, something seems to have worked, as I'm back online wirelessly!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Despite this message however, something seems to have worked, as I'm back online wirelessly!

Excellent news.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It may be wise to create a manual restore point at this time...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat