Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

VaioPMNS
Visitor

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

Hi,
I’m a newbie VAIO user having bought a VGN-FW51JF/H, which has a Blu-ray combo drive.
Only in the last few days have I decided to try out a simple CD-R burning and was quite shocked to notice the drive can only write at 4x, when the specs claim it goes up to 16x for CD-R!
The built-in drive is a Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 (firmware 1.01) and I tried three different software burners to no avail,(including Nero )all listing 4x as the top speed. Also tried 3 or 4 brands of CD-R…Sony, Memorex, Verbatim and nothing! Not only is the drive picky on the speed (taking 20 mins), but even pickier with the media…some burn well, others don’t (Memorex failed right at beginning, but Sony media pulled through).
I installed all the available updates from the support page, but apparently there is no firmware update, for the drive, to correct these serious issues. I still haven’t tried the normal DVD burning, but inserted one and at least the speed was displayed as expected, 8X, so I assume it’s only behaving like this for CD-R media.
In a store, also made a small test on another PC, exactly the same model, and once again the reported speed was 4x, so this is not exclusive to the one I bought.
Does anybody else have this issue ?
Is there a firmware for this drive ? I tried everything and couldn’t find anything…
I have one day to decide if I should keep the PC or not, as there are no guarentees Sony will acknowledge this bug and release a firmware to correct it L
Thanks in advance

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi VaioPMNS,

have you installed the BD-Combo Drive UJ140A Firmware - 1.11 update.?

If not then you can download the updates from Vaio support..

To open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 2: Select your VAIO model, next to Select Model Category - Select your model from the drop down list, in your case VGN FW.

Then next to Select Model - select FW51JF/H

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Downloads, scroll down to Firmware and follow the installation instructions..

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Thanks a lot for your reply Thalamus, i tried that very same firmware from the support page but it’s not for this model of drive, which is strange. The executable refuses to update, claiming that it is incorrect for the drive in question.
This probably means there is another drive for this VGN-FW51JF/H, to which that update applies. I forgot to mention that I’m writing from Portugal, but I assume this model exists in other countries as well. My searches indicate the update is for a Panasonic Blu-ray combo drive.
I searched all over the net for an update, even on Pioneer site, and nothing…
Do you have any other suggestion ?
Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Do you have any other suggestion ?

All I can suggest is that you contact VAIO support and ask them if there is a firmware update available.?

You can find the contact details for Vaio support by following the instructions in my post above and clicking Get in touch.

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Many thanks.
I reported the problem to Portugal’s VAIO Link, they also assumed it’s just a question of firmware and they’re opening a case with Sony Belgium. Apparently, this is a very recent model (came out about two months ago) and probably this situation isn’t yet detected . Only with user feedback, can they open a case requesting a firmware from Pioneer, checking that all these models have this issue. There are no guarentees that this firmware will ever be released, so it’s really in my hands, if I decide to keep the PC and wait for this to be solved, or if I return it to the store claiming defect (I have until the end of the day to do this).
I ask anyone who bought one of these models, or that has this Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 drive, that make a simple test with a CD-R. You can use Nero Info Tool for instance (available freely on their page) and check if the reported top speed is 4x. If this happens, then there might be a problem with CD-R burning capabilities (specs speed claims 16x), please report the issue to VAIO Link.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Many thanks.
I reported the problem to Portugal’s VAIO Link, they also assumed it’s just a question of firmware and they’re opening a case with Sony Belgium. Apparently, this is a very recent model (came out about two months ago) and probably this situation isn’t yet detected . Only with user feedback, can they open a case requesting a firmware from Pioneer, checking that all these models have this issue. There are no guarentees that this firmware will ever be released, so it’s really in my hands, if I decide to keep the PC and wait for this to be solved, or if I return it to the store claiming defect (I have until the end of the day to do this).
I ask anyone who bought one of these models, or that has this Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 drive, that make a simple test with a CD-R. You can use Nero Info Tool for instance (available freely on their page) and check if the reported top speed is 4x. If this happens, then there might be a problem with CD-R burning capabilities (specs speed claims 16x), please report the issue to VAIO Link.

I guess the decision on whether to return your vaio or wait for a firmware update rests with you..

VaioPMNS
Visitor

I decided to keep the PC, i hope there will be a solution for this in short term, this is faulty firmware and I’m assuming Sony/Pioneer can easily correct it, but I will not let go of this matter.
Just a side note, also tested 8x DVD+R recording and noticed it took a bit longer than what is expected out of 8x, but burned ok.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Could you let us know if you hear anything further from Sony support regarding the firmware update please..

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Could you let us know if you hear anything further from Sony support regarding the firmware update please..

Sure i will, and i ask you to do the same please, if you happen to find out something on this subject...

Thanks a lot

kaepten-koma
Visitor

I am having the exact same problem with my FW-55x. I got the FW about a week ago and am looking desperately for a solution to this problem. I haven't contacted Vaio yet, but I will do so next week. The firmware updated that is provided on the sony website doesn't work with my laptop either.