Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-Z21WN Windows 8 Upgrade

SOLVED
VenomRJF
New

VGN-Z21WN Windows 8 Upgrade

Hi all... I just dug up an old laptop model number VGN-Z21WN.

I thought I'd upgrade to Windows 8, which I've done. I now find that a few things aren't working properly...

1. Screen Brightness

2. USB Ports not recognising devices plugged into it

3. SD Card slot isn't working

Would anyone happen to know where I can find drivers? I've been to this site and grabbed all of the drivers I can but still having these problems.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi VenomRJF and welcome.

Sadly, Sony do not support any Z-Series Vaios to run Windows 8 and consequently, they have not produced any Windows 8 drivers for your model.

Even after Windows 8 was released, Sony were still only selling Z-Series Vaios with Windows 7 installed - I guess some of the hardware drivers are not available from the manufacturers.

Did you do a clean installation of Windows 8 or did you upgrade from Windows 7? I think your model was sold with Vista installed.

You could try installing the Windows 7 drivers from here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-Z21WN_B/updates

Or look for drivers from a newer model that is supported.

However, I don't think you will get everything to work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi VenomRJF and welcome.

Sadly, Sony do not support any Z-Series Vaios to run Windows 8 and consequently, they have not produced any Windows 8 drivers for your model.

Even after Windows 8 was released, Sony were still only selling Z-Series Vaios with Windows 7 installed - I guess some of the hardware drivers are not available from the manufacturers.

Did you do a clean installation of Windows 8 or did you upgrade from Windows 7? I think your model was sold with Vista installed.

You could try installing the Windows 7 drivers from here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-Z21WN_B/updates

Or look for drivers from a newer model that is supported.

However, I don't think you will get everything to work.
VenomRJF
New

Thank you for replying!

That's disappointing news.

I believe that I did a clean install.

Like I said... it seems that most aspects of the laptop are working and I've installed most of the drivers that you've given me the link to. But I'm currently not getting the SD card reader to work - and this is one of the drivers on the site that seems to have been updated for new versions of windows.

I'll keep looking I guess. I really don't want to give up on the laptop. It's pretty good right now... just not all there at the moment 😞