Join now - be part of our community!

WHY STILL NO SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ???

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MJBALTIC
Explorer

WHY STILL NO SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ???

I was trying to update my VAIO SVL2413M1EB today, as Microsoft has offered me Windows 10 and I can't do it.

Update gives me an error and nothing is working.

SONY, it's very bad !!!

I know you have abandoned VAIO, but don't force people to get rid of all your products, because you will loose even more at the end.

My friend has got HP laptop 3 times cheaper then my SONY VAIO and he was able to update everything straight away and everything works !!!

SONY SUCKS !!!

70 REPLIES 70
profile.country.en_GB.title
davejo90

Well due to the way the updates works not giving you a choice to opt in or out of updates, the machine gets stuck in Edge and it also freezes in IE I have now reverted back to Windows 7.

I found that I would be working away and then the whole system would get slower and slower until it would just freeze on me. This was due to the updates running in the background. It was great while it lasted but I couldn't stand it any longer.

I was quite lucky because although it was more than a month since I had upgraded to Win 10 and the chance to revert back had passed I had luckily changed my HD to an SSD so I just put in the old drive running Win 7 and cloned it, now I'm happy again as i have my nice fast PC back and I am in control not Microsoft

janetp2040
Explorer

I have a Vaio KDL32EX724BU (PC) with Windows 7 and there doesn't appear to be a way to upgrade to Windows 10. This is becuse Sony used a NVIDIA graphics card which does not appear to be compatible with the upgrade.  I have had long chats with NVIDIA customer services who assure me "that the card is compatible with Win 10 OS, but since this is a Sony laptop you may not be able to install the drivers from NVIDIA, you will have to install the drivers from the manufacturer"!  They continued " This is not a restriction from NVIDIA, but from Sony".

Well, if that is how Sony treats it's customers, guess what make my new PC will NOT be - yes Sony. 

I am very frustrated by this situation, but am even more disappointed by Sony, whose products we have bought over the years as they were so high quality, but NO MORE. 

davwilso29
Explorer

I have a VAIO VGN-FW21Zwith NVIDIA graphics card and fely exactly as you do. As soon as Microsoft allowed a clean install of W-10 using your existing product key, I went for it, did a clean install and have had no problems at all. Even if you have a problem your computer will roll back.
profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

janetp2 - I would be tempted to try it. But only if you are comfortable backing up your current OS with Acronis or Macrium Reflect. (I would not trust the roll back - that is just me).

If so you could try a fresh install without a product key. I tried 10 on an old (early W7) Fujitsu Laptop in August. No video driver (Fujitsu not supporting an old model).

I tried again more recently. Microsoft found a driver. And it is the right driver....the same ref number as the old Fujitsu driver but with the last 3 digits different.

So you might be surprised. You may find you have a perfect working video driver because Microsoft are working like crazy behind the scenes on compatibility.

Good Luck.

profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

OK.

So I tried a fresh install on my VAIO SVF laptop. Sadly the UK support site is still not right - the driver list looks garbled and is not sorted by OS.

Not to worry!

I am doing a fresh install and the only thing I am interested in is getting the Control Centre working so that I can control the keyboard backlight. And I have figured out what software is needed (on a fresh install) to get Control Centre working.

And that is:

Sony Hot Keys. (you may have to install in Safe Mode and you may need 2 attempts)

Shared Library. (Installed without problems)

Control Centre. (Installed without problems)

That is it! Control Centre is working. I used the old 8.1 Versions I had saved. Or......look for Windows 10 versions for your model on the UK support site. Or......(for these 3 items) look at Windows 10 support for the nearest model you can find on the USA site. (At your own risk but the first 2 are the same  - two years old  -  software and the new W10 Control Centre installs just fine as does the old 8.1 Control Centre.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about a fresh install.

Mine was just a dummy run. I am back on 8.1 and "thinking about it". My old Laptop is on 10 and I am warily trialing 10 on there.

profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

I have VPCCB4C5E laptop, with AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, which has AMD/Intel hybrid (switchable) graphics (screen resolution 1920 x 1080) and Windows 7 Pro (64bit).
Sony's support site informs that this model, with hybrid graphics, is not (yet?) compatible with Windows 10 - warning of critical 'blue screen error' due to the graphics employed.
My questions are:.
#1 Has anyone tried updating a similar VAIO (with AMD Radeon HD 6630M) running Windows 7 (64-bit) with AMD's suggested solution for AMD's "legacy" products, namely AMD's "Crimson Edition beta driver" and AMD Catalyst 15.7.1. (It seems that Radeon HD 6630M is already a "legacy" product, even though my VAIO  laptop is not that old.)
Are their any issues?
#2 Does this AMD "Crimson Edition beta driver" and Catalyst 15.7.1 overcome the problem of then upgrading to Windows 10? 
That "AMD Crimson Edition beta driver" and release notes are here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

marmag2673
Explorer

So here it is almost a year to the day that Microsoft released windows 10.  During that time Sony kept telling us faithful Vaio owners "Be patient..."  Well my patience has run THIN!  Still no drivers for Windows 10?  The price I paid for my laptop with windows 7 and now I have to consider now spending MORE MONEY on another laptop just so I can have the most current (free for now) OS?  This is outrageous!  I have to dispose of a perfectly good laptop just so I can use an OS that WAS free.  Now I will be forced into purchasing the software because I have to buy a new sony vaio laptop?Like Hell I will! I was always a faithful Sony owner and especially faithful to the Vaio brand but now I sadly blow out my torch that I held for Sony Vaio and use my HP laptop just so I can have bluetooth with windows 10.

Sony - I am so very very disappointed and disheartened.  It will be a very long time before I purchase another Sony Vaio.  Nothing travels faster than word of mouth...

Sony Techs: Please tell me that there are drivers now for win 7 to 10.  Please tell me that this rant is completely without basis.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME EAT MY WORDS! I BEG OF YOU - PROVE ME INCORRECT IN SAYING THERE ARE NO DRIVES FOR MY SONY VAIO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO WIN 10!   I will purchase a domain and website shouting my apologies.  

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @marmag2673 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

The first question to ask is what model Vaio do you have?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@marmag2673 wrote:

Still no drivers for Windows 10?  The price I paid for my laptop with windows 7 and now I have to consider now spending MORE MONEY on another laptop just so I can have the most current (free for now) OS?  This is outrageous!  I have to dispose of a perfectly good laptop just so I can use an OS that WAS free.  Now I will be forced into purchasing the software because I have to buy a new sony vaio laptop?

Sony - I am so very very disappointed and disheartened.  It will be a very long time before I purchase another Sony Vaio.  Nothing travels faster than word of mouth...

Hello, I presume your VAIO is still working therefore you do not HAVE to buy another laptop!

I'm pretty sure that Sony are not the only manufacturers who have not release updated drivers for 3-4 year old laptops and I believe that manufacturers are not required to supply updated drivers to support newly released operating systems.

Frustrating as it is I faced the same problem with my VAIO and decided to stick with the pre-installed stable Windows 7 rather than chance an upgrade of my current OS to Windows 10, even though Microsoft claim my VAIO is compatible. 

With regard to your last paragraph, sadly, Sony no longer manufacture VAIO's since it sold its PC business to a Japanise firm in the beginning of 2014. 

lencova
Explorer

It is mid June and I have not seen any issues. My Sony VPCSE1E1E installed almost OK but W10 did not recognize the camera (I managed to install some driver from Sony) and the screen brightness on the notebook randomly jumps from what I selected to 10 percent, dificult to see in daylight (have to use external Samsung monitor).

The rest seems to work, except that W10 use a different vocabulary than W7 and they bother me with unnecessary junk.

Help welcome - which drivers are needed?

Regards

Lencova, Brno, Czechia