Join now - be part of our community!

Window Vista Update thatt doesn't

bullroar
Visitor

Window Vista Update thatt doesn't

I keep being told that I have an important Windows Update to install yet so I go and run it only to be told it failed to install. I have tried to install it many times with the same result.

The update in question is:
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB941833)

And the helpful information I get when it fails, yet again to install, is Error Code 64C.

My Laptop is a VGN FE41Z using Windows Vista Home Premium.

Do I really need this update?
If so how do I get it to install?
I I don't need it how can I stop it from ever appearing on my machine ever again?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't know if it will work but I would try downloading it direct from Microsoft and running the install with Administrative Rights.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941833

There are some hints if it won't install.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Blencogo is right but do this if it still refuses to cooperate.
If you really don't want an update then turn off your automatic updates in change settings in the left hand panel of the control panel>check for updates dialogue box. Then select 'Choose to download and install' and when the errant update crops up uncheck it until you have found a solution. Also try defragmenting and get tune up utilities and here and do all it reccommends and try again as it is a vunurability that need to be addressed but not to lose any sleep over.

bullroar
Visitor

Thanks it seems to have worked. I have no idea why. Microsoft downloaded something else that wouldn't install but then when I ran the update it worked. Bizarre.