Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 7 re-install without install or restore disks

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pautaylo63
Visitor

Windows 7 re-install without install or restore disks

Hi,i want to re-install windows 7 but dont have the install disks and dont have the upgrade disks that were provided when my system was upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista. I also dont have any restore disks. Can anyone offer any advice? thnx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Paul,

Are you not able to find the original upgrade disc's.?

I guess it will be difficult to locate another copy of the MS upgrade disc, you could try contacting Vaio support but I doubt they will have a copy as these were supplied via a third party company..

You should be able to still run the Vaio recovery utility because I was led to believe that this was untouched during the upgrade process..

BUT this will restore your vaio back to the original Vista OS & pre-installed applications..

To start the recovery process start your Vaio & when you see the Vaio logo press the F10 key repeatedly hopefully this should start the recovery utility, then simply follow the wizard..

Another possible solution - if you want to upgrade to windows 7 contact MS support & explain your problem & see if they are able to assist with a licence code then I guess you may be able to borrow an windows 7 instalation disc & complete an upgrade. However this will not be the same process as your previous upgrade..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Pautaylo63,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

Can you give us some more information please..:smileyconfused:

What model vaio do you have.?

What upgrade disc's are you referring to, was it an actual Windows & upgarde disc or was one of the free Windows 7 upgrade disc's that were available for selected PC's purchased between June 26th 2009 & January 31st 2010..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Paul,

Are you not able to find the original upgrade disc's.?

I guess it will be difficult to locate another copy of the MS upgrade disc, you could try contacting Vaio support but I doubt they will have a copy as these were supplied via a third party company..

You should be able to still run the Vaio recovery utility because I was led to believe that this was untouched during the upgrade process..

BUT this will restore your vaio back to the original Vista OS & pre-installed applications..

To start the recovery process start your Vaio & when you see the Vaio logo press the F10 key repeatedly hopefully this should start the recovery utility, then simply follow the wizard..

Another possible solution - if you want to upgrade to windows 7 contact MS support & explain your problem & see if they are able to assist with a licence code then I guess you may be able to borrow an windows 7 instalation disc & complete an upgrade. However this will not be the same process as your previous upgrade..

profile.country.en_GB.title
pautaylo63
Visitor

Hi Thalamus, thanks for the reply. The model is VGN-FW31E and the disk was the upgrade disk that were available for selected PCs as you pointed out. So i dont have that, not the orignal installation disks as they dont supply them and i never imaged when i upgraded. I know that the upgrade to W7 from Vista included in the process partitioning your hard drive but i wouldnt know whats in there and how to extract it if there is an image there.

thanks

Paul